Just rolled it over...200,000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Don,

I live in Nashua, NH and work in Lexingon, MA. The symptoms of the broken distributor belt were very obvious. I was auto-crossing the car at the time and the car began to ping badly whenever I put any heavy throttle. We tried pouring in some 110 octane race gas to see if that solved the problem. No luck. So I drove the car home (gently) and took it to my dealer who found the broken dist belt.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Henriks 964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Jim,

Wow, you did a lot of work on your car but I bet it is in perfect condition now. Yes, the car also brings me a lot of joy every time I drive it. That’s why I try to keep it as long as possible.
Just paid the insurance a few weeks ago (that hurt) and it needs a service around October this year because then the oil is already two year old by then. I’m always in a struggle whether I want to keep it original or make some small changes like change the silencer which behind the rear bumper for a cup pipe.

Regards,
Henrik
Old 05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
JAMES J
Instructor

Originally Posted by Henriks 964
Hello Jim,

Wow, you did a lot of work on your car but I bet it is in perfect condition now. Yes, the car also brings me a lot of joy every time I drive it. That’s why I try to keep it as long as possible.
Just paid the insurance a few weeks ago (that hurt) and it needs a service around October this year because then the oil is already two year old by then. I’m always in a struggle whether I want to keep it original or make some small changes like change the silencer which behind the rear bumper for a cup pipe.

Regards,
Henrik
Howdy Henrik.....I think in the long run it's cheaper than buying new...no car payment's....and anything done to the P-car I save and pay cash.
Insurance does hurt.....had to break mine down into several payment's.On keeping it original I do so cosmetically like flag mirror's D-90 wheel's,even with the seat's I stayed original. Mechanically ...will upgrade for perfomance...I did put on primary by pass muff. and with the cone filter....give's a nice sound. If you do your's.....you will like it I am sure.
On perfect condition...well almost....alway's seem's like there is something to be done....daily driving bring's this about....maintenance is the key.one thing for sure I know what has been done...and have the paperwork. Planning to put on new top.....no rush...mainly because I seldom put the top up....have a full tonneau cover...it's like flying in an open cockpit.
The car is Quick as a 993....and no oil leak's....it's a keeper.
Thank's for the reply and the the best to you..
Jim
Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Henriks 964
Instructor

Hello Jim,

I also still have the D-90 wheels and the flag mirrors. The pervious owner called me that he still had them I could pick them up for free. Like I said I’m also thinking to put on the primary by pass. My planning is to do that later this year. The normal maintenance goes first.
A other thing that worries me is the stone chips on the hood. Maybe I have to let repainted in the future although a few weeks ago I saw some technique on TV that they can fill the chips up.
Thanks for reply and the best to you too.

Henrik
Old 05-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Henrik,

I've had good luck touching up stone chips. I am following the advise of CarCareOnline.

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=8

After, I fill the holes in the paint. I let the new paint dry for a week and then I use Griots Paint Clay to "sand" off any high spots. I then use 3M Hand Glaze to polish the entire surface. Then wax.

Its not the same as a new paint job but the price is much better.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:13 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Rob--140K miles on one clutch!!! That has got to make you feel good no matter what--I don't think most Honda clutches even last that long...congrats on your 200K moment....I hope to own my 993 forever and ever, though I have quite a bit of catching up to do [my car has 39K miles ]
Old 05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, Welcome to the club.

Mine has 219,000 miles (as of yesterday, more today!). Although, mine had a "factory" rebuild of the top end at 50,000 miles as an attempt to curb the leaky "gasketless" heads of the 89-90 era - but the body is showing the miles (left rear tailight housing is rusted through - getting fixed this summer - and clearcoat is losing lustre). Remarkably the compression is still great in all cylinders according to my mechanic and it still pulls strong. And, knock on wood, all the electrics appear to work fine too!

Frank

89 C4
Old 05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Henriks 964
Instructor

Thanks for the tip Rob!

Greetings,
Henrik

Quick Reply: Just rolled it over...200,000 miles...