Sponsored by:

high pressure car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Terry Bell
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question high pressure car wash?

My C2 was looking pretty dirty from driving on slightly messy road in wintry Canada. I run my car all winter but never drive on snowy roads or when there's a sketchy weather forecast. As it was a bit too cold to wash the car in the driveway, I took it to a "touchless" car wash that uses high pressure spray after a rinse and good soap down. I have been to this car wash before a couple of times but this time I was astonished that when the high pressure spray came on I felt my right foot getting wet! (Note: I was sitting in the driver's seat) It seemed to be a higher pressure spray than before but I'm not sure if the water entered through the front air intake over the hood (bonnet) or if somehow it entered from below as the carwash advertised its "special high pressure rocker panel wash". The water certainly came down from inside the dash and I could feel it was wet reaching up under the dash above the accelerator pedal.

Is this a fluke due to this high pressure spray or has some shield or rubber seal come loose? I've never seen water ingress before in the cabin of this car. Is the likely culprit for the water coming in the little grill on the hood (bonnet) or somehow from underneath. Obviously getting water into car from behind the dash is not a good thing.

Terry
Old 12-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High pressure car washes are murder on your car. (And they still don't get all the dirt off!) Any seal that can be breached will be be breached. I've seen a chip in the paint turn into a quarter panel needing repainting.

The only thing that touches mine are my two hands... Wait... That sounded funny...

Rick

Quick Reply: high pressure car wash?