Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running wires through front (trunk) firewall - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running wires through front (trunk) firewall - any tips?

Hi All,

I am about the install an amplifier in the front trunk of my turbo ('92). Ran a search but did not get anything useful.

Is there an easy way to run a few wires: Remote turn on wire for the radio, 2 speaker wires for the subwoofer (rear of front seats), and, a set of patch (rca) cable for the input to the amp?

These wires will go from the amp in the front trunk to through the firewall (looking a gromet already in place) and into the cabin.

Also, since I am in the trunk, could I hook up the ground cable from the amp to the negative post of the battery?

Appreciate all helps.

Thanks,

Sonny
Old 05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a CD changer installed in my boot. I'll trace the wires into the "cockpit" tomorrow and see where they sent them. I hope it's not some sort of rats nest. But it probably will be.
Brian
Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sonny, There should be several gromets for you to go through but I would think the RCA jacks would be a problem... Unless you are going to pass the wire through and solder them on once through. I've seen these installations before so it can't be that hard. The worst part is going to be working on the radio and getting the connections made there.

You could secure the ground to the negative post on the battery but there are plenty of other places to secure a ground strap.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:53 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys,

Why do I want to put the amp in the trunk? Because I took this amp out of my daily driver and have an old one to replace it. They are not that big, but I want a really nice setup with cover plate (like the show car), and I am doing all this by myself... it is sort of a challenge and I wanted this for a long time now. Actually, I wanted more bass in the turbo, but the amp gotta come with it. It will add a little weight to the car, but I am only 115 lbs so that will be ok....

I also built/reconstructed 2 nice subwoofer boxes for the rear of the front seats from some pre-fab box for 6x9 (can't afford to have them custom made). I took pictures of the entire process will post when done.

I don't want to scrape any paint off the chasis to connect the ground cable.... that is why I asked the question. All of my stuff can be removed and will not leave a trace of anything there. No drilling is done.

I got some information from caraudioinnovations.com on how to run the wires. It will be difficult for sure with the RCA cable. I can't cut and re-solder it.

The radio/receiver's connection in this case is easy. I already have a new Sony single disc CD player in the car. All I have to do is connect the remote turn on and the RCA cable to the back of the radio and I am done there. The cables through the wall will be the hardest.

Thanks,

Sonny
Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sonny

I installed an Alpine V12 amp in the trunk a few years ago, and the hardest part was getting the cables through the firewall. There's a small grommet hole on the right hand side where some existing cables pass through the firewall, so I just passed the amp wires (and the returning speaker wires) through that. It's quite difficult to get hold of the wires as you pass them up as they emerge behind the bonnet strut (it took hours) but shining a light through the hole gives you some indication where they come through. Once you get one going through it gets easier. The RCA jacks arent a problem as the hole is big enough. Remember to pass the cables through the center of the grommet - rather than displacing the rubber, or you will increase the chance of petrol fumes in the cabin.

The Amp is probably better in the Trunk as the distance to the battery is shorter (important for amps) and there's plenty close grounding places as well. Dont use the -ve post on the battery - use one the brown wired ground posts. You can power the amp from the +ve post though.

Remember to use good quality shielded cables from the Head unit to the Amp, esp. if you are passing them through the firewall as the distance is quite long (3m or so), you prob. don’t need to shield the speaker wires though.

Good luck.

Ade.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Southampton76
Racer

I just intstalled two amps in my trunk. I have a 4 channel and a two channel to drive the subwoofers. I found a gromment behind the gloves box and routed everything up through there. I used a zip tie and pulled the wires from the cockpit out to the trunk, labelling as I went. It was quite easy and took about an hour to thread everything through.

I made a small platform out of MDF in the truck that sits on the spare. I couldn't put the amps under the seats as I have my XM receiver box and aux panel under there. I plug my iPod into one of the ports in the AUX box and plusg my laptop into the USB port for downloading maps to my GPS.

I'll take some pics if you are interested

I have a pair of sub boxes behind the seats and the sound is amazing now. Rich bass and strong volume.

Just rememeber to use the remote switch on lead from the head to the amps, or you will drain the battery.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Southhampton76... Yes.. Pics please!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Southampton76
Racer

Send me your e-mail and I will mail out some pictures. They are too large for the list and my camera's resoultion won't scale down to 148K
Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Southy,
Where exactly behind the glovebox did you find the grommet? Did you remove the entire glovebox to find it? When I hardwired my V1 I looked and looked and looked but ended up using the grommet behind the center heating vent. I spent hours trying to fish a single wire through and literally almost completely scraped all the skin off my knuckles. It was the most miserable DIY I think I've ever attempted and yet it was only 1 stupid wire!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:38 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Southampton76
Send me your e-mail and I will mail out some pictures. They are too large for the list and my camera's resoultion won't scale down to 148K
Please send pictures to "dtdvo@yahoo.com" I will resize and post it in this thread.

Thank you.

Sonny
Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Southy's photos:

Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

A friend of mine just send me this. Stereo related video, very funny.

http://sonicbliss.caraudioplanet.com/Blaupunkt.mpg

Sonny
Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very bunny.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Southampton76
Racer

I found a grommet up behind the back of the glovebox, close the the heather defrost hose/pipe. I didn't have to take it out. I actually cut the grommet in half and wrapped the speaker wires and rca cables so nothing would rub. The small loom was still protected by the other half of the grommet. Its the only one I could find back there.

Thanks for posting my pictures. I don't use the front for anything, I put my computer bag on the back "seats" so I decided to screw the amps down on the mdf board. The only concern is getting at the spare etc should you need to.

Everything works well and I'm happy with things and the sound with the subs is amazing now I run them off the 2 channel amp. Better low down grunt and high end power.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:33 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I took the previous owners amp and stuff OUT. There was a good sized grommet just next to the steering column (LHD) which was big enough for all cables and plugs. Looks factory original not cut for the stereo installation.

good luck

Quick Reply: Running wires through front (trunk) firewall - any tips?