Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REMAN. ALTERNATOR OR NEW REGULATOR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REMAN. ALTERNATOR OR NEW REGULATOR?

I had recently posted a thread about my radio noise, and thanks to the help of my fellow Rennlisters, we determined that it was the regulator in the alternator that was causing the problem.

Now I'm left with the choice of whether to buy just the regulator or an intire remanufactured alternator. I can get the regulator for about 30.00 plus shipping. However, a remanufactured Bosch alternator is only about 160.00 plus the core.

What do you guys think?

Hopfully, I'll remember to post some pics of the project for you guys once I get started.

Duncan
Old 05-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that depends on your mileage. If you don't mind getting into the alternator, then I would suggest you replace the regulator, the brushes and the bearings. Of course if the parts cost is too high, then go for the reman alternator.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Duncan,
Who are you buying the remanufactured alternator from? Is it one of the Porsche #911-603-155-AX or #964-603-156-AX replacements that come with a two-year warranty? I remember someone on here used a brand-new generic Bosch alternator from their local autoparts store without any problems also.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Jason, I priced the remans from a few different online parts houses. The prices ranged from 143-168 dollars. I am unsure of the part numbers, maybe you could ellaborate on the differences. What do you mean by a generic alt and how did they get it to work?

Collin, The car has just turned over 68,000mls and as far as I know the alt is the orginal. I have no documentation that says otherwise from the PO. I just thought that sense the alt was out, what the hell.

Duncan
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There are some shady operations "remanufacturing" Bosch alternators. They make them look good, but only replace what is broken instead of renewing all the wear parts.

I don't have any 964 experience, but I put 3 alternators on my 300E before I wised up. The last one I installed went 12,000 miles, and it had a bearing noise from day one. I did not diagnose the noise until alternator failed. I replaced it, and the noise was gone. I thought it was the power steering pump making the noise. I paid a lot more than the prices you are quoting to get a genuine Bosch rebuild.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Maybe I should post a new thread.

Who has replaced their alternator?

Duncan

Quick Reply: REMAN. ALTERNATOR OR NEW REGULATOR?