Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 C2Cab or used Boxter????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002 | 04:43 PM
JonT.
Advanced

Post 1990 C2Cab or used Boxter????

I found a beautiful 90 cab for sale w/32000 miles. I'm guessing its worth around $30-32k. Used Boxters are going for the same. Anyone opinions on which one would be a better purchase? They are both beautiful cars.
Old 03-25-2002 | 05:34 PM
Jay H
Drifting

You're comparing apples to oranges... But, here are some of my thoughts.

I would bet that the 911 Cab has depreciated quite a bit and has stabilized in value to some degree. If you kept the 911 properly maintained, you wouldn't loose too much if you have to sell it in the near term. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the Boxster's will continue to depreciate as they get older. A $22,000 1997 Boxster probably isn't that far away...

The Boxster is definitely more refined. Less power and torque though too. The mid engine design and more modern suspension technology helps the Boxster handle well.

Looks are subjective and only you can answer that question. They both are great looking cars.

The 1990 911 is 12 years old now. Maintenance and repairs become an issue and something that needs budgeting for. The oldest Boxster is a '97 model. 7 years newer is a big difference. Even if the mileage would be the same on the two cars, age takes it's toll. Seals dry out, rubber parts disintegrate, etc.

You have to drive both to see what YOU really like best and which car suits your driving needs/wants. There is nothing like a 911. But the Boxster is a wonderful Porsche too. These are two very different cars made in different time periods for different buyers.

Good Luck!
Jay
<a href="http://www.jays911.com" target="_blank">90 964</a>
Old 03-25-2002 | 06:13 PM
greg1234
Racer

I'm going through a similar decision making process - with a few differences. I was thinking of getting either a Boxster S or a 996 cabrio. Getting a 996 would mean selling my 964/5 Turbo, whereas if I go for a Boxster, I can (possibly) keep the Turbo.

As a result I've had loads of test drives and lots of time to think, and I came to these conclusions:

1. The Boxster and 996 models are completely different cars from the earlier 911s. Worls apart. What you love in one, you'll hate in the other. In terms of the raw, pure "Porsche" experience, a 964 (or 993) will do it, whereas (for me) the newer cars don't.

2. The Boxster handles like none of the 911s. Whether it's ultimately faster or slower than a particular 911 is not that relevant to me - the layout if the car does make it handle and ride very differently to any of the 911s I've driven, and I like it.

3. If I had to have just one car, it wouldn't be the Boxster. Several reasons for this - such as number of seats etc - but the main reason is that the Boxster doesn't (for me) define the Porsche spirit. I know it sounds like pretentious nonsense, but I think most people will know what I mean. A 911 is a more complete car than the Boxster, and has all of the emotional attachment of the 911 as well.

4. Ultimately, as everyone else will tell you - it's down to your own choice. You may love the boxster and hate the cabrio, or vice versa.

To summarise : if you want the full, "genuine" Porsche experience, warts and all, pick the 911. If you prefer trouble-free roadster fun, pick the Boxster.

Obviously all of this is my personal opinion.
Old 03-25-2002 | 06:17 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, once again, must say I agree with everything Jay has written.

My neighbor has a '99 Boxster, and we took turns driving each other's car some two months ago:

-He loved my car's power, which left him feeling a bit disappointed with his Boxster. He's an ex-Mustang GT owner, and the Boxster is his first P-car. With respect to the difference in power between our cars: "Now, this is what I'm used to!"

-I loved the sound of the Boxster's engine right behind my back!

-I could never get used to the step down in power. The Boxster just doesn't pull like an "enraged bull."

-The Boxster is much easier to drive. His impression of my car's handling: "It felt like it was fighting me." Nothing wrong with my car, just typical 964 (or 993) feedback/minimally assisted steering/brakes.

My neighbor really wanted a 911, but for what he paid for his low-mileage Boxster, he would have been looking at a 6 or 7 year old, high-mileage 911. Or, an older 911 with lower mileage. He was afraid of getting hit with big repair bills on an "older" car such as this--not a fear without basis. His Boxster is still under warranty.

He was a little surprised I didn't look down on his Boxster--he was under the impression all 911 owners looked down on Boxster owners in their "entry-level" Porsche. Not at all, I told him. Beautiful car, wouldn't mind having one myself if I was a richer man with a bigger garage. Or, would that be a poorer man that couldn't afford to purchase an older 911 and pay for the maintenance?

Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2002 | 07:37 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I had a 1990 C2 Cab, and now have a 99 Boxter and a 02 TT(X50). The C2 involves you much more in the physical act of driving. The Boxter is better for ordinary commuting, but you don't ned to be a very good driver to drive it well. If your purpose is driving enjoyment on an intermittant basis, go for the C2. The service costs and intervals won't be a problem if it's not a daily driver. If you're driving 12-15,000 miles a year, you're probably better off in the Boxter. If you get the C2, consider lowering the car. I thought it made a worthwhile handling difference. Good luck. AS

Quick Reply: 1990 C2Cab or used Boxter????