Lowering 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 10:45 AM
apw964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lowering 964 C4

Folks,

I am considering lowering my car, primarily for aesthetic reasons.

Couple of questions;

1. Will this adversly effect my handling ?
2. Will I experience any wheel - wheel arch problems ? (I'm on Design 90's)
3. Should I bite the bullet and replace the shocks too ?
4. Any recommendations of what springs to go for if that is the right approach ?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Andy
Old 11-20-2001, 12:58 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
There is more than one way to approach this,
This is how I did it(1991 cab.),
1. I was worried about adverse handleing when I lowered my car(8 yrs. ago),was surprized and happy that it changed for the better(Less role, not as sloppy).
2. U shouldnt, it depends on how low u go(i'm on 17's and do not rub).
3. I rode w/ springs for a few yrs., try them and see how u like "em, however u'll probablly bite the bullet somewhere along the line, I did last yr.
4.There's a few different u can look into,
Porsche M030 springs(factory sport suspension), Eibach, H&R,Im not really sure how each one differs but someone will step up and explain that.
I am currently set up w/ Eibach springs and Bilstein heavy duty shocks( i have a shock tower brace also),lowered about an inch w/ a sporty alignment, and it doesnt rub anywhere and the ride feels great. I'd recommend it.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:41 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Andy,
Firstly do not use M030 suspension components to lower your 964. Simply because they will not. They will only increase ride stiffness by around 40%.
If the job of lowering is done incorrectly you can end up with a very dangerous 964. It has to be worked out and planned. The first question is "How do your drive". If you are going to be hurtling down the road at 160mph then you need a very good set up.
C4 or C2 plays a significant role here as well.
Just for looks you can try the H&R lowering springs only. However I really think more details are required from yourself to give a better picture.
For the record I have an EIBACH/KONI Sports set up.
Model year of your 964 will also play a highly significant role in what you can actually do. Options for pre Nov 1990 build date are limited unless you know what to look for and where to look,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-21-2001, 01:25 PM
apw964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Adrian,

Living in the US is limiting my ability to drive 160 mph unfortunately. Moving here from the UK last year where the speed limit is a little higher and the cops seem a "little" less interested has resulted in a "significant" amount of tickets this year

I get my enjoyment out of the car by attacking cornors when I can and country roads. I think there real thrill in dirving the car is based on getting it around bends and corners.

The car itself was registered in Nov 89, its a C4 and is advertised as a 1990 car.

This sounds like it might limit my choices ???

Let me know

Thanks Andy
Old 11-22-2001, 04:15 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Andy,
You have a 1990 model year C4. Got airbags correct.
You choices for what you wish are limited especially in the struts and shocks area. May I suggest that you start with a set of H&R progressive springs. I just by co-incident received my Tweeks catalogue (nice guys they send them to me and I never asked, terrific) and on the second page is the advert for these springs. They are quite expensive though.
However you may wish to just consider to upgrade to 17 inch wheels and a very good set of tyres and install a 21mm sway bar on the rear. The improvements are quite large. Just for looks then maybe standard H&R lowering springs. Keep away from the bumps though because the struts and shocks may well bottom out.
If you want to change your suspension anyway the best solution to avoid searching the world would be H&R/Bilstein HD combination. This is very popular in the USA. I prefer EIBACH/KONI but that is my personal preference and getting the rare KONI front struts can be a problem.
Ciao,
Adrian.
911C4
Old 11-26-2001, 01:46 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have Eibach springs, and Koni adustable (yellow) and a strutt brace, love the setup.

GP

Quick Reply: Lowering 964 C4