Sponsored by:

White smoke from under rear wheel arch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 04:46 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post White smoke from under rear wheel arch

I topped up oil 5 days ago. Whilst doing so I spilt some oil (wine glass amount) down side of filler neck.
It is possible I put slightly too much oil in. Gauge was almost at red before fill up I put 1 litre in gauge was at top after fill up. Now at end of fast journeys there is burning smell (oil smell I think) and small plumes of white smoke from rear passenger side (RHD car)wheel arch behind wheel. At end of slow in-town journeys there is no smoke or smell?? Any thoughts - I think I read if you overfill gaskets can blow. I was wondering if spilt oil is being blown onto exhaust on fast journeys. Thanks in advance - Piers 1990 C4.
Old 11-20-2001, 04:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Piers,
Your symptoms are quite normal for an oil spill, overfill. I highly recommend you clean the mess up as quickly as possible. You will need to take the airbox cover and airfilter out and clean up any mess you find in the airbox.
You are probably burning off the spilled oil but that wine glass amount will find it way into many nooks and crannies.
Many people get mixed up between oil smoke and steam. At this time of year here in Europe, being very cold and wet the engine heats up the surrounds very nicely. Any water remaining after you stop will get boiled off. Mine does this very often.
Anyway, I as I said I would clean out the engine bay or just put up with it until the oil has burned off. The dry sumped Boxer engine has a good oil venting method so it is unlikely this overfill will cause you gasket and seal failures. However if not cleaned up it can come back to haunt you especially if the oil finds its way into the throttle body or onto the air flow sensor,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: You are correct in saying 1 litre can make a huge difference. You should fill the oil on the dipstick reading or at least cross reference the dipstick to the indicator when the engine is at operating temp, at idle and on nice flat ground.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:27 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Guys,

Can you fill the car with oil while the engine is running?

Reason I ask is that if you are supposed to check the oil with the engine running and you have to fill it, it could be a right pain to check oil, turn engine off, add oil, turn engine on, check oil, turn engine off, add oil.....
Old 11-20-2001, 09:55 AM
mac964
Track Day

Riccardo,

always fill the car up with oil with the engine running, fully up to operating temperature and on level ground. Just got to ensure you keep your clothes / fingers away from any moving parts!
Old 11-20-2001, 09:58 AM
mac964
Track Day

Riccardo,

always fill the car up with oil with the engine running, fully up to operating temperature and on level ground. Just got to ensure you keep your clothes / fingers away from any moving parts!

Old 11-20-2001, 10:05 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

That is why you use a oil filler container with a VERY long spout. I laughed when my people used this on my C4 but I learned real quick that it was a great idea,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: White smoke from under rear wheel arch