Vibration on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration on acceleration

Rennlisters.

Some advice sought. For some little while now - mostly noticed since I had my 24,000 service done at JZ Machtech, I've noticed the occasional strong vibration through the gear lever when accelerating - maybe around 4,500 to 5000 revs.

It's not always there and it comes and goes but I'm at a bit of a loss to identify what's causing it.

Speaking to a few of the guys at the SE meet yesterday there was a lot of opinion that it may be failing engine mounts. Speaking to Chris at JZ today he suggested that the common cause is the DMF - but I blew that one out since my car is a '89 with a single mass flywheel. Engine mounts was Chris's second guess.

Any other offers???? The 24K service also included all belts being changed, valve clearances etc. Belt tension "look" OK and I can't think of anything obvious which would cause the problem. I did recently change the gear **** itself but the new one is held on with a grub screw (rather than just a push fit).

Regards

Dave
Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
...there was a lot of opinion that it may be failing engine mounts.
Dave,

A test to see if your engine mounts has failed is to jack up your car from the case and if the engine rises more than 1 inches before the chassis does then there's a good chance the mounts need replacing. I replaced mine last year at 52,000 miles.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had similar issues with annoying shakes and shudders at times. Checked the engine mounts, they're fine. I'm beginning to think it might just be a function of the lighter weight flywheel being a bit touchy. Perhaps that's why they switched to the dual mass. However, if yours doesn't have anything to do with shifting, I think you can probably rule that out too. If it's straight acceleration that you're talking about, with the vibes coming on around 4500, then hmmm....
Brian

Quick Reply: Vibration on acceleration