Sponsored by:

AC fuse blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 11:53 AM
optionguru
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC fuse blowing

My #1 fuse keeps blowing. When I start the car the fuse will blow and the ac will stop pushing air. After being replaced it usually lasts for a few days before going again. Can I up it to a 30amp fuse? Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do to diagnose the problem. I live in South Florida where it is currently 90 degrees and I can't handle being without my ac.

I checked the old posts and most relate to the rear blower fuse not the inside blower.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 03-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Peter,
You have a blower fan failure. Fuse number one power the left blower fan, right blower fan and the control unit. The fans aremounted at the rearof the luggage compartment, one on the left and one on the right. The big humps. You cannot miss them. If you are not running the defrost (RH blower) I would guess that the left hand is seizing up and causing the fuse to blow.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 03-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I may add a general admonition: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER replace a fuse with a higher-rated fuse (i.e., a 20 amp with a 30 amp). The fuses are designed to blow without affecting the entire electrical system. To replace it with a higher rated fuse, even temporarily, defeats the purpose of the fuse.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dear Rich,
Could not agree more. I am just tired of having to say it. Upping the current rating is a fire hazard especially with plastic plumbing. I tend to ignore the question now. I know I shouldn't but the fingers cannot type the answer anymore.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 03-10-2003, 03:29 PM
optionguru
Intermediate

Adrian, I'm pretty sure you answered me on the smartgroups email as well. Thank you. Do you know where I can find some instructions on how to check the blower motor?

Thanks Again,
Peter

Quick Reply: AC fuse blowing