Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Replacement - Speaker wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Radio Replacement - Speaker wiring?

The original radio in my RS America did not work when I purchased the car. I am just getting around to replacing it with a blaupunkt CD player. The CD powers up fine, but no output through the speakers. And I also connected an old blaupunkt Reno and again, nothing. I checked the speaker wires for continuity and to ground and there is no connection. Before I start pulling door panels off to check to ensure the wires are plugged into the speakers, anything else to look for (something unique about the way the RSAs have their radio wiring installed)?

Last edited by Oddjob; 04-20-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:28 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check to see if you had an amplifier under the passanger seat? If you have one, then the speaker connections are there, and the amp connection is in the dash.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You dont need to pull the door panels to take out the speakers
Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by investlt
Did you check to see if you had an amplifier under the passanger seat? If you have one, then the speaker connections are there, and the amp connection is in the dash.
No, actually I did not check for an amp under the passenger seat, but will do so. The amp connection wire on the back of the radio was not connected to anything and there is no amp plug wire in the wiring harness in the dash, and the 4 speaker wires are there and were connected to the radio (even though it only has the 2 door speakers).

I made a weak attempt at pulling off the speaker covers, but it looked like a risk of breaking them. Are they just a snap fit on the RS door panels?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure about RS, but in my car the tweeter cover unscrews and the mid-range speaker just pops off.

Marc
Old 04-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys,

I did pry off the speaker covers - a little bit of an effort to snap them off w/o breaking off the plastic clips.

Both speakers were completely blown out. Replaced them and now the radio works fine. Too bad the exhaust is too loud to hear it while the engine is running.....

Quick Reply: Radio Replacement - Speaker wiring?