Sponsored by:

Replacing rear CV joint rubber boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005 | 03:57 AM
robbed666
Racer

Default Replacing rear CV joint rubber boots

Hi All

I need to replace my rear CV joint rubber boots. How easy is it to remove the complete joint. I know you can do it in situ, but I'd prefer to do them off the car, as you can see, and fit boot retaining straps a lot easier. You will also know for sure, that the boots are fitted correctly. I know the rear hub nut is tightened to 339 ftlb. Can you just pull the shaft out, and push it back in without stripping the rotors and bearings down? (after removing the hub nut and inboard hex bolts).
Old 04-20-2005 | 10:30 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That should answer some questions for ya':
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/169064-cv-joint-disassembly-tips-please.html
Old 04-20-2005 | 07:26 PM
WMRiceman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did this repair and I don’t see any way to do it properly without taking the half shafts off. It’s a messy job but knowing you did it yourself ensures you it’s done correctly. I bought my boot kits through vertex.com and each boot kit was around $20 a year or so ago. The boots are made by a company called Lobro. I stopped by the local P dealer and looked at his kit. Same one made by lobro for $65 a kit. If you’re going to do it, best to do all 4. Getting the axle nut back to 339 ft lbs was the trick. I bought a really cool 100 to 750 ft lbs torque wrench on ebay. Only way I could justify to the wife I needed a 6 ft long wrench.

To answer your other question about the hub. Take the big nut off and the small allens at the trans flange and the axle slides out of the hub. Hope this helps, mark
Old 04-21-2005 | 03:37 AM
robbed666
Racer

Thanks Mark,
I did a quick boot replacement "insitu" , but wasn't happy. I like to see and feel that every thing has gone back together right. Just didn't feel right, so thats why I want to remove the shafts completely from the car to do the job "on the bench".

Quick Reply: Replacing rear CV joint rubber boots