OT - What can I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 05:37 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT - What can I buy?

Hi,
Since I will be yet another year older at the end of the week, I feel the need to buy myself a pressie and I fancy something for the car. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything I want!

I've spent way too much on it recently, so want to limit myself to around £250 max. It does need a few things doing to it within this budget (wheels refurbed, leather re-connolised) but this time I fancy a "thing" rather than cosmetic improvements.

I already have an OK stereo (including multi-changer) and a speed camera detector so they can be ruled out. Would like a navigation system - but that's more than I want to spend.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:48 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmmm....I noticed that you've already got the clear headlights etc - what about your rear lights? Are they in good shape?

What about getting a Cup or G-Pipe fitted? or perhaps just a stainless steel exhaust tip? Some new mats? Colour crested wheel centers?

Or you could give it a Zymol treatment?
Old 05-20-2003, 06:19 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Hmmm, your post makes me convinced I've spent too much on my car!

Rear lights - perfect, replaced all last year.

Coloured wheel centres - got them last year.

Mats are in excellent condition.

Already got zymol.

The exhaust bits are an idea though. Got a cat bypass, but nothing else. Will think about those.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:34 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
OK - I'll try...tricky though as most of the things I can think of could be viewed as cosmetic rather than a 'thing'. Here goes:

1. Rear parking sensors - I've got this <a href="http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/taurus.htm" target="_blank">http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/taurus.htm</a> but haven't fitted it yet. £99.99 and NO sensors on the bumper (electromagnetic ariel under the bumper skin)

2. 4 wheel alignment

3. HID headlight conversion (bit over budget though, but is a 'thing')

4. Cup or G Pipe (Andy's idea)

5. New set of keys - replaced mine recently (well under your budget) and they now look very smart

6. Phil Raby (I remember from his 911&PW article) fitted an Blaupunkt 'hard drive' (fits in glove box) to replace the CD changer

7. LED brake lights (they're on my list)

Hmmm - it feels like my wish list!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, on my car the rubber "smile" is looking a little tired & I'm thinking of having it replaced - approx £150 including labour.

What about the updated wiper arms with the 2 springs in each arm which are supposed to work a lot better.

Or you could have your cars injectors cleaned. Cone Air filter?

I like Rob's idead of rear parking sensors as these cars are not easy to reverse park!

I think that's me out of ideas now!!

Andy
Old 05-20-2003, 06:43 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Andy

Isn't the smile cosmetic?

What's this about wiper arms - please tell me more! (I like having a list as long as possible for my cars)
Old 05-20-2003, 06:50 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, yes, yes, the Smile is cosmetic....

The wiper blades issue was covered in a topic a while ago <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004064#000024" target="_blank">Wiper Blade Thread</a>

If you go to page 2 of the thread, John Miles has some pictures of the old & new ones!

Andy
Old 05-20-2003, 06:56 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Excellent - thanks. Shame I bought new Bosch wiper blades on Sunday...how did that thread escape my attention.

Just goes to show that these threads change direction and you have to remain alert!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:17 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Paula will not be happy if she sees me reading this thread!

My new rear light set has arrived and I have told her that only the reconnolising remains to be done. (Plus a small rust blob under a headlight).

Remember, I have already spent more on my car than it cost me in 1994!

Now I fancy one of these invisible parking-aid jobbies!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:36 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

John - re the parking aid (I wish I was selling them now!):

Fisrtly, they are great, but it is worth having them on all of your cars (because you soon get used to listening for the beeps)

Secondly, as a competent sounding DIYer, can you tell me how I get the bumper cover off?
Old 05-20-2003, 07:43 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Never done that, I'm afraid.

You might be able to access enough of it if you just removed the undertray.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:17 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Rob's list is not bad. I've already asked for key blanks from someone else and alignment was done a few months ago when I had the RUF suspension fitted. MP3 tempted me when I bought the CD changer, but I would have had to change the head unit as well and didn't want to.

So far - parking sensor sounds like the best thing. I would like one of these, fits into the "thing" category and would be very useful.

I'll take a look at that website now - but may hold of ordering in case someone mentions something else that I want more....
Old 05-20-2003, 08:31 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - so assuming getting the bumper off is not too difficult, how would the speaker be fitted inside the car?

I've managed to route my multi-changer cable from the cabin to the luggage compartment - but I can't think where I could route a speaker wire from the rear bumper into the cabin?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ref. Parking sensors.

IMHO they are pointless.

If fitted inevitably you will end up parking in tight spaces. Inevitably you will then get 'bumped' by the cars fore and aft. If you don't park in tight spaces you don't need parking sensors!

So there!

Piers
London with no marks on bumpers....touch wood etc.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:00 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Piers, they have saved me plenty of money over the past few years! It is surprising how useful they are.

I still don't try to squeeze into tight spaces; still park miles away at the supermarket.

It's not the fore/aft bumps that irritate me - it's the idiots who open their door into mine. I don't think I've ever had a car without a ding on the doors. Even when I park miles away from anyone else in an empty row, it amazes me when I come out to find a car parked RIGHT next to mine!

Rant ends.

Quick Reply: OT - What can I buy?