Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty oil thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The thermostat in my E36 BMW failed in a open position. Would have been very bad for me if it had failed closed.

---
anthony
Old 05-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts
I still think you should ask your mechanic to explain why he thought you required a new oil thermostat. I'd be very interested in what symptom he saw in the absence of overheating that would lead him to this conclusion.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are "fail safe" thermostats available for most cars. Of course these are for water pumpers. But they fail in the open position. A good idea.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:23 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Adrian said, it fails closed because the initial (cold) position allows for faster oil warm-up. (Running with cold, thick oil for too long can be almost as bad as "overheated" oil.) From personal experience, the failure comes from corrosion, either of the bi-metallic spring or of the sliding piston within the cast aluminum housing that lives below the oil tank--you know, the thing with the drain plug. The design flaw, as I see it, is that this is the low point in the system (needs to be, if it is also the drain) and so collects the water and other nasty stuff that condenses in the oil tank. Some of you, especially in cold climates, might notice a bit of water when you start draining the tank. When I was in Alaska, I started to periodically drain the water by just cracking the plug open half a turn, and letting capillary action wick the water out. My educated guess is that the acid-rich water will eat through the spring before Porsche envisioned.

Bob K
1989 C4

ps. If you replace an early 964 thermostat, be warned that the casting is different and will require different rubber hoses as well.

Quick Reply: Faulty oil thermostat