A/C Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 12:27 AM
bj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A/C Q's

Hi All

I attempted to access the evaporator by removing the gas tank then the metal divider located between the gas tank and the plenum which houses the evaporator and all the servos. I removed the many clips that hold the two plenum halves together (presumably). After removing one of the servo's I started to think I was getting in over my head and time was running out - so I put everything back together. Is that the only way to get to the evaporator coil and the 2 blower motors? I've read that there's a way to access the evaporator from below the car - can't see how! How can the blower motors be lubricated with a syringe? Is this accomplished from within the car? Where is the site window on the dryer and can I determine how much freon is in the system by viewing this window? When I depress either core valve they are both under pressure yet I have no cold air. The condenser fan runs (i.e. I've shorted out the leads on the broken 0.45 ohm condensor resistor)when I depress the A/C button and the clutch on the compressor engages. So is it likely that the expansion valve or evaporator is defective provided I have an adequate amount of R12?

Your responses are all appreciated and
Thank you in advance
Bill
90 C2
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bill, I wouldn't say you're in over your head...but that is some job you've tackled!!

I have to replace my evaporator coils myself, supposedly there's a leak in them. I hope to get Rich's (fellow VB'r) done first...that way I'm a pro when I tackle mine!

I've seen this done, once.

You have to remove the fusebox and part of the underdash as well. It's a tedious job with plenty to "F" up in the process.

I would like to find a nice procedure to follow vice just pulling everything out...hoping I get it all back together in one piece - without a bucket of parts left over when I'm finished!!

Isn't this how MOST projects go anyway??

I can't answer most of your other questions as I've never had a properly working AC system in ANY of the 5 Porsches that I've owned...including this one! I always seem to buy one with issues, that's how I get the price down, usually.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:32 AM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

I know you can get to the blower motors this way. The receiver/drier is under the LHS front wing/fender. I have a parts diag for this if you want me to post it.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:52 AM
GaryN
Instructor

Hi SteveW,
[quote]The receiver/drier is under the LHS front wing/fender. I have a parts diag for this if you want me to post it.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I think you'll find that under the LHS front is the Condensor (also know as the radiator) with a big "Bosche" cooling fan attached. The receiver/drier is under the petrol tank.
The reason I know this is because as we speak I'm in the process of replacing my Condensor ££££.

Cheers
Gary '91 C2
Old 07-04-2002, 07:38 AM
bj
Instructor

Hello Again

The reason I want to get to the evaporator coils is just to inspect and clean if necessary B4 I recharge the system with that precious R12. I'm using the telltale sign of A/C oil residue as an indicator of leaks. The system has maintained some amount of pressure (i.e. when I depress either one of the A/C core valves there is pressure, although I've never actually measured it with a guage) for over 1 year so I'm quite certain there are no major leaks. I believe the A/C did work (although I really didn't have to use it) when I purchased the car in October of 2000 and it may still be working, it is slightly cooler to the touch than if only the fans are on. When I did find some residue buildup around the receiver/dryer about a year ago (A/C was not working then either)and tightened up the connections at that time. Since then there has been no more signs of residue buildup in this area and any pressure that was in the system has been maintained. What should the pressure reading be at these 2 test points (i.e. core valves) when the A/C is running? I'm assuming the the Hi side is the smaller diameter line and the Lo side is the larger diameter line going into the compressor and the system is refilled from the Lo side fitting? I forgot to mention that when the A/C is turned on these two lines become hot with the smaller diameter line (i.e. Hi pressure side) becoming much hotter than the Lo side. Steve, I've gone throught the archives and I think I've seen the parts diagram your talking about, but if you wouldn't mind posting it, just in case it is different, it may help.

Thanks again
guards red 90 C2
Bill

Quick Reply: A/C Q's