Sponsored by:

Bringing the steering wheel closer to my chest

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:42 PM
peter_964rs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bringing the steering wheel closer to my chest

What's the name of the part, the flange/widget/thing, that you can get to lengthen the steering column slightly and bring the steering wheel closer to your chest? It's on the tip of my tongue and bugging me 'cos I can't remember!

Basically, I do a few track days every year, am a tall man with the seats in my RS as far back as they will go, and want to bring the wheel closer to me so I'm more in control in corners. I believe this is fairly easy to do? Just replace the current flange/widget/thing between wheel and dash with a longer one?

Also: any ideas on cost, is it a DIY job that an idiot can do (I definitely fall into that category), any pitfalls, who sells that sort of thing in the UK? Any websites with pictures I can look at?

Cheers
Old 07-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Spacer. Steering wheel spacer. At least that's what we call it over here in the colonies. Spacers are often needed for aftermarket steering wheels to move the wheel away from finger contact with the top of the dash. One I got for a Momo wheel was only about 20mm, which might not be as much as you want. Better ask a dealer or the factory about adding a spacer for an OE wheel to make sure the wires (horn, bag, etc.) will reach the extra length.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:52 PM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Peter,

I guess you are thinking about a different hub adaptor or boss to bring the wheel closer. Whether those exist depend on the type of wheel you have got, on my 993 I could only find one source for an airbag-equipped wheel that offered optional spacers that would bring the wheel either 25mm or 40mm closer than stock, that was from Cargraphic. See this thread: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003636" target="_blank">Steering Wheel Reach</a>for more info (apologies for the pics, flash makes the wheel look various shades of grey - it is all black).

Quick Reply: Bringing the steering wheel closer to my chest