Sponsored by:

Finally got her home

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got her home

Well, the pick up of my P-car in Denver was successful. We arrived at DIA around 10:15 Friday morning and a buddy of mine picked us up at the airport- next stop Rocky Mountain Autosports. We get there about Noon, ca's waiting for us in the clean-up bay of the shop. First, let me tell you about the dealer- he has boat loads of P-cars, mostly late model 993 & 996, some GT's thrown in there for good measure. I shoulda taken pictures, but my head wasn't on straight yet. We get to our car---- -she looked real purty. We test drove the car- got her up to about 70 (posted 45), so I didn't get wicked stupid there. Test drive was great- all kinds of power, no lag or drag here; just as it ought to be!

We get back to the dealer, and start looking over the car- There's a few things wrong, some minor, some more major- none of which were discloed in the PPI or the dealer statement. The list: left fog lense bullet-holed, the left and right tail lights cracked, the driver's seat bolster has nice black piping on it- left side was syliconed back together- that needs a better fix, the left highbeam out, as was the left brake light. Dealer was supposed to fix both of these last two items.

Now- i know when you buy something used, at 12 years old, it won't be perfect. That's not what I asked for; I just want to be aware of the items so I know how much more I'll spend initially to get it right. This was not discussed, and I figure another $400-500 to fix this stuff. Dealer won't budge on price, but he agreed to throw in colored center caps. We make a stop at the mechanics to fix the headlight and tail light, I get the car back in my possession at 5:00 pm, dinner plans at 6:00-ish, so we make our way back to the hotel to get cleaned up.

About now, I'm deflated because of the small stuff, but driving it, and knowing it's ours is great and lifts my spirits. Traffic sucks, so it takes us almost an hour to get across town. Lot's of stop/go crap, but I'm still grinning

The drive home Saturday was great- long but great. We had the top down twice; Saturday night for a few hours, and then Sunday again for a few hours on the final leg of the trip. Got her home and gave her a bath (the car) and waxed her up- and here she is. I'm in there too- with the sunburn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...RW_2856_RJ.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...RW_2846_RJ.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...RW_2853_RJ.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...RW_2852_RJ.jpg
Old 04-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk... WOW... That is a real eye popper! Congratulations!

Don't sweat the small stuff. You will learn that if there is nothing to tinker with or something you are waiting to do to your Porsche... You just won't be happy. Don't let the little stuff get you down.

How was the drive??? The weather? Any skirts with "The Law"? How fast did you get it up to? Not asking for a novel... Just a few notes...

Congrats again... Nice car!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking car!
When I bought mine i had to replace all the rear lights. Thats pretty normal on these cars. Crapy plastic. Try Sunset Imports for best price i found. expensive but makes a huge difference in looks or search archives on how to paint.
Welcome to our world
Old 04-11-2005, 10:13 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Very Nice car! Like those wheels....
Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just noticed. Man that thing has some huge speakers!

EDIT: Ok Just looked at a picture of mine inside and guess its an optical illusion.

Last edited by jimq; 04-11-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Love it! Nice rims and a tail as well. That's what sold me on the Targa I got last year. And now I'm trying to find a ragtop because I really didn't think that I'd miss the total open top feel, but I do.

You spending has just started though. You won't need a second mortgage, but it gets dangerous sometimes.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic car! looks great.

ps. your garage is bigger than my house thats it I'm emigrating
Old 04-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats hawk! Yup the small stuff is annoying, but really only because you were so meticulous in your search for the 'right' car! The one you've ended up with is really a stunner from the pics and in all honesty by doing the fixes yourself it will probably make the car feel more like 'yours' in time.

How did your boy like the car? Must have been fun driving it home together!

Congrats again,
Old 04-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Congratulations!!! That is one nice looking car!!!!

That's it... I need to start saving for a rear wing. That looks HOT!!!

Enjoy it in good health!!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 PM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats! What a super looking car!
I love the grey collored interior.
Greetz

~ The Eagle ~
'92 Forest green C2 with K&N airfilter + drilled airbox + 964 3.8 RSR front splitters and layered with Meguiar's NXT wax
Old 04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Scooter92
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great looking car! Congratulations!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Christer
Race Car

That car looks like its brand new - very very nice.... I have a weird taste in wheels though and don't like those, but other than that....a great looking car!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks very hot - congratulations again.

I like the wheels and tail too - not sure who the guy modelling the car in the first picture is though

The speakers look same size as mine.

As has been mentioned, don't worry about the little bits - yes, it can be frustrating to find it has not all been disclosed as it might put off your first mod or two to put everytyhing right. You will enjoy tinkering on the car and personalizing it and that is also a very good way to get to know it. There is always something on the "to do" list and the ever growing "to do someday when I win the lottery" list. I know I'm not happy if I don't know what the next project is...so far I've not run out of projects and I'm sure you won't either.

Marc
Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk... The next thing you need to do is to join www.Rennlist.com! The knowledge, tips, tricks, hints and help you get from this site will pay you back 100 fold.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:24 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those 993 Targa wheels? Looks good. I had trouble with my center reflector coming unglued and leaking water. The tail lamps on the 964 are very poor quality. Porsche must have gotten a good deal on them.

Quick Reply: Finally got her home