2004 Model in Autoexpress

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 2004 Model in Autoexpress

Back To The Future On 911

An exclusive shot in the current issue of Auto Express magazine shows the all-new 911, due on sale in 2004, and its radical fresh look has been lifted from the history books.

The new machine drops the controversial 'fried egg' headlamps (right, in picture) in favour of more a traditional oval light, which harks back to the 911 of the Sixties and Seventies. This change is in response to criticisms from customers, some of whom felt the current look was untidy.

As with the headlamps, the new model's engine and transmission maintain Porsche tradition. All will be six-cylinder petrol units which will channel their power to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual gearbox.

Four-wheel-drive editions are also thought to be under development, as are turbo cars. And cabrio mules have been seen out on test, suggesting the firm's affair with the high-performance convertible is far from over. Both the wheelbase and track on the car seen here have been extended, increasing stability as well as passenger space. It's also thought the 911 will offer proper seating for four for the first time.

Technical developments should include a more efficient air inlet system. Ceramic brakes are also on the cards right across the range, while insiders have suggested the company is working on a new sequential gearbox to replace the unloved Tiptronic system. The modifications will better prepare the Porsche to meet the challenge of rivals from Ferrari and Maserati. Dan Strong
Old 09-12-2002, 10:04 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the immortal words of Christer (in response to j959 engine claims)...

..pics please...
Old 09-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Christer,

Was their any word of the strange V8 engined 911 that Porsche were developing? Hopefully they have decided to forget that silly idea eh?

Flat 6's rule!

Andy
Old 09-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

No mention of V8. Incidentally, the picture referred to in the article in order to demonstrate Porsche's decision to go back towards the 'bug-eyed' look was this one below...

(Yeah, I am sure that's exactly what it will look like. Especially with the fogs...)
Old 09-12-2002, 10:38 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, so no pics in the actual (ie made of paper) magazine of the test mule??
Old 09-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

I haven't seen the actual magazine, so I don't know. I might take a look on the way home if I get time. Anyone else have a pic?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:27 PM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Andy Roe:
<strong>Christer,

Was their any word of the strange V8 engined 911 that Porsche were developing? Hopefully they have decided to forget that silly idea eh?

Flat 6's rule!

Andy</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have been told that it was just for testing the new V8 for the chilli-pepper SUV
Old 09-12-2002, 05:58 PM
ianc
2nd Gear

I checked out the picture in auto express - they do have a good quality picture of the new porsche - imho its quite ugly... take a 996 and cut the front off, stick on a 968 &lt;yes 968&gt; nose and you've got it... real weird looking. I'm sure it will be stunning after about 6mths of staring at them on the motorway or showroom but first impression its pretty weird looking.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe this picture is the same.<a href="http://www.sportscartesting.com/news/porsche/id434/pg1798" target="_blank">http://www.sportscartesting.com/news/porsche/id434/pg1798</a>
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 AM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

If it is true that the future will look closer to Rick's posted link...that would be great. My chief complaints about the current styling are the headlight cluster and the absence of hips on the Carrera. I would never own the current car just for that for those two reasons. In fact if someone gave one to me, I'd turn around and sell it or trade it for the best 993 I could find- now that 993 has some hips!

To me the headlight clusters make the car look cheap and "plastic-y." It also takes away from the traditional lines with the way they come into, and interrupt the hood line. Coming at you, there is little to differentiate the nose of the 996 from the rest of the sports car wannabees on the road today. Plus the nose looks too blunt and cumbersome without trimmings (grilles, separated fogs, etc.) to break it up the mass of solid color. Its like wondering why a solid-colored sphere has no character or allure...it just doesn't- there is nothing to play into lighting, or lines to lure the eye.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

I am with JFK - completely. If the 996 takes that sort of turn, who knows. The 993/968 style headlights are definitely a step in the right direction. And Cup alloys. Cool.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:21 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure I would put much stock in that look, Porsche seems to be proud mentioning how the Cayenne's front end has retains the "Porsche family look". It wouldn't make sense to go and change the 911 away from that now. There is also some interesting discussion on the 993 board over this same picture (that is where I found it) in the <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005088" target="_blank">2005 Carrera?? </a> thread.

Quick Reply: 2004 Model in Autoexpress