Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASHTRAY DOESN'T STAY CLOSED!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:18 PM
s.g.erickson
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASHTRAY DOESN'T STAY CLOSED!

Anybody have this problem. Not quite sure how the ashtray is supposed to work properly since it was like this when I bought the car(90 Targa). Any thoughts on fixing it, part #'s etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, mine is a pest too. I have to try closing it several times to get it to stay closed. Another thread suggested removing the liner in the ashtray but that did not help - you could try that. I just leave it closed (and tell passengers to keep their hands to themselves as they always want to poke around).

Marc
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Join the club! I think anyone who uses their ashtray has this problem. If you look on the right hand side you will see a little arm sticking out that has a little tip sticking out toward the ashtray. The tip needs to be pushed back into the track and it will work again. It's easy enough (And I have had so much practice fixing it!) that I can fix it while driving down the road. I'm a smoker but don't use it as an ashtray... I keep my lighter in it. The key is to open and close it slowly and carefully. I can post a picture if you think it would help.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:34 PM
s.g.erickson
Track Day

I don't use the ashtray, my problem is it will not stay shut. Do you think replacing it with a new ashtray will fix the problem. It bugs the crap out of me that I cannot shut the darn thing!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Nope... You just need to put the tab back in the track. Here's a picture to show you what I mean.

You can see how the arm with the tip rides in the track. It's a lousy design... The tip is too short. If you push it too hard while opening or closing it... The arm pops out of the track. Take a small screwdriver and pop the arm back in the track! It can be a little maddening until you do it a few times. If you can't do it in the first three tries... STOP... Consume three of your favorite alcoholic beverages... Then try again!

Good luck!

EDIT - Uhh... Sorry for the x-rated lighter. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited by Smokin; 04-08-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
JAMES J
Instructor

WOW........@ 1002,000 mi. mine started staying open,never had the problem till two week's ago!
thank's Smokin....just another somethin to keep one their toe's.
Jim
Old 04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rick - thanks for the tip but it still does not work. I usually have to slam mine to get it to stay closed.

The little tip in the track you are referring to does not slip into the notch to keep the ashtray closed (circled in red, below). Neither the tip nor the track looked worn - any idea why it is not slipping into that notch?

Marc
Attached Images  

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 07-23-2005 at 10:10 PM. Reason: edited out the naughty bits on the lighter
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc... This is a stupid question... But are you sure it's actually in the track? There are sometimes where mine looks like it is, then when I push it closed it pops out before closing. I took a pair of needle-nose pliers and bent mine in toward the track a little. I would imagine that too much force, however, would break it. You can see in the picture that my tip is almost out of the track as it is! I need to work on it a little more. If I handle it very carefully it works... But too much of a push when opening or closing will pop it out every time.

Also... Did you drink your three beverages?

Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Rick - thanks for the tip but it still does not work. I usually have to slam mine to get it to stay closed.
Can you jiggle the ashtray left-to-right (is there any movement)? When you go to close it don't just push back, you also want to push it to the right. On the guide arm there is a little plastic tongue that should tension the arm (right at one of the injection sprues) against the ashtray so it shouldn't matter if the tip wears away but eventually it stops working (its no longer stiff) or it breaks.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:37 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

You could probably fix it with an epoxy appendage on the worn tip, definitely cheaper than a whole new ashtray.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:45 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Jason... Was that hard to take out? I've never tried.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smokin
Jason... Was that hard to take out? I've never tried.
Not at all just slide the tip out of the track and then pinch the other end and it should pop out (actually into the ashtray).
Old 04-09-2005, 03:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is mentioned in the book, 'The Used 911 Story - (Excellence was Expected, but...)', but this is the first time I ever heard anyone actually mention it elsewhere.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
Nope... You just need to put the tab back in the track. Here's a picture to show you what I mean.

You can see how the arm with the tip rides in the track. It's a lousy design... The tip is too short. If you push it too hard while opening or closing it... The arm pops out of the track. Take a small screwdriver and pop the arm back in the track! It can be a little maddening until you do it a few times. If you can't do it in the first three tries... STOP... Consume three of your favorite alcoholic beverages... Then try again!

Good luck!

EDIT - Uhh... Sorry for the x-rated lighter. Don't mean to offend anyone.

Hi Smokin, thanks for sharing this info & pics with us! Very usefull.
And now I know why you call yourself "Smokin"

Greetz
Old 04-09-2005, 05:15 PM
shophobbit
Intermediate

I had the same problem with mine. I removed the tray and put two pieces of electrical tape oppisite the small arm with the tab on it. I forces the tab into the slot a little more and helps to keep it closed. Mine used to pop open on every bump but now stays closed. Be aware it may make opeing the tray a little harder but it seems to work to keep it closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASHTRAY DOESN'T STAY CLOSED!