Sponsored by:

Suggestions Outside Temp Probe??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 03:13 PM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Suggestions Outside Temp Probe??

Our other cars have been Bimmers, with, of course, the OBC. The one (probably only <g&gt thing I miss driving the C2 is knowing the outside temperature. Today, I bought a cheapo Radio Shack auto-thermometer, which measures both inside and outside temps. It's a small unit, maybe 3 inches long and 3/4 hght and runs on one large watch type battery. I'll figure out a place inside the cockpit to mount it without making any permanent changes, holes, etc.

The unit comes with a 10-foot long wire and temp probe attached; the probe is a cylinder, probably 1 inch long and about 1/4 inch or less in diameter.

Seeking recommendations where to mount the probe, and more importantly, where, or how to take the probe and wire thru the dashboard to the trunk (boot). I assume, in the winter, the trunk is pretty much at outside ambient temp - but is probably warmer than ambient in the summer, if the sun is out. The probe is water proof, or so Radio Shack claims.

As usual, thanks for the help.

Chuck
93 C2
Old 11-29-2002, 05:06 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I think if you can route the wire to behind the insruments, you will find easy access into the scuttle/trunk area from there.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chuck

One other alternative might be to retro fit the OBC/Tachometer - there is at least one good thread on this subject - I've just bought a used tach/obc from eBay with the view to fitting it. While I probably will not fit the temp sensor I believe it went in the door mirror and there are articles telling you how to fit it.

Regards
Old 11-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another option is to replace the rear view mirror with an afermarket one. Check out <a href="http://www.mitocorp.com/nvsmirro.htm" target="_blank">MITO Corp.</a>
Old 11-30-2002, 07:34 AM
scupper
Racer

Thanks for the comments, all.

Ruairdh, did you ever receive answers, off line, to your questions regarding ease of installation of the stalk switch and if the column wiring is in place for the switch?

Chuck
Old 11-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by scupper:
<strong>

Ruairdh, did you ever receive answers, off line, to your questions regarding ease of installation of the stalk switch and if the column wiring is in place for the switch?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Chuck, no I didn't. I still went ahead and bought a tachometer with OBC on eBay though and figured I'd re-post the question when I'm ready to start thinking about installation

Quick Reply: Suggestions Outside Temp Probe??