Sponsored by:

Clear Nose Mask?? worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I understand; by making sure the car and bra is very clean, only putting on for track events, taking it off when wet, and putting racer's tape at edges, clips, etc. bras are safe.

Sure, put it on and leave it on for a few months and it'll get abraided and faded but....most people in the racer's forum seem to pick a carefully used bra over any clear cover.

Besides: from the web site: "INVINCA-SHIELD is a non-yellowing 'INVISIBLE' protection film with UV inhibitors" so that means anything underneath the shield will fade at a different rate than the uncovered parts (fading is based on UV exposure). I did not want to have to cover every inch of my car to prevent paint fading at different rates -- I'll just take the bra off when I leave the track. In addition, I think you can also get little strips of stone chips where they don't cover.

Marc

Marc
Old 05-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I've been using the film for years and have experienced none of the issues you're describing. I've never had two tone paint from the film and I've never had anything like strips of stone chips. I've used bras and been very upset when I've scratched or abraded paint using them. That said, I can see your point if you're careful and only use it for track events. Most people are neither that careful or that disciplined.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair enough. I'll let you know how the bra works out for me (and if I regret my decision... ).

Marc
Old 05-14-2005, 12:15 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i should also chime in

I found out after the PPi, but before the final minutes of the purchase that the car did have the clear mask on it. Not sure how long it's been there, but it's not all that. I can see areas where it certainly saved the paint, but there are areas that also have become quite a mess. The mask is peeling and cracking quite a bit- time to peel it all off and buff out the finish, or re-apply some new mask to cover the old areas. I have no plans to reapply the mask soon, but I do plan on pulling the old stuff fairly quickly.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:36 PM
Lennart
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clear Mask Full Front - Pro's and Con's

We have a new 2024 911 and dealer is offering Clear Mask Full Front for $4k - is it worth it or not? Will mostly due city driving vs highway driving

Quick Reply: Clear Nose Mask?? worth it?