Condensation inside windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Condensation inside windshield

Hi all,

What should I look to seal/clean-up to prevent the windshield from fogging when the car sits?

I've noticed that on somewhat humid days, if the car has sat for an hour or two after having been run the inside of the windshield is fogged.

Normal or not? if not what's the source of water?

TIA,

carl.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:25 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem. My rear window is worse than the front. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2002, 02:59 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there's a thread in the archives somehwere about water collecting in the heating or air-con system which can cause this.
I certainly wouldn't say it's normal, unless you live in a very humid environment, perhaps.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys,
These 964s as they age leak. The major area of leakages are,
Windshields which have been replaced and the correct procedure not followed. Like they are supposed to be sealed or glued into place. Use of the incorrect seal also causes problems.
The door seals age over time and exposure and they allow water in. Cabs and Targas leak even worse.
It is not normal it is just a fact of life. You can either replace the seals (remembering that the average life of exposed synthetic rubber components is 10 to 15 years) which means all of them or put up with it and do what I do. I supplemented the seals where I found them to be really bad. Sadly the side window seals cannot be supplemented. I also carry out a dry out process. Stick a heater into 964 and dry it out. Remove all mats first. The insulation installed at the factory is the greatest sponge known to man. I am sure if you have leaks that your soundproofing will be water logged.
Basically you have to come up with ways fo solving the problem. The most expensive as mentioned is a re-seal.
To check if your doors/windowes are leaking just take everything out of the door storage compartments and see if they are wet. Stick a tissue or something in there.
If you driving over winter I do recommend a complete dry out before the cold weather really hits. Get the heater behind the seats and blow the warm air under the seats. Leave like this for 8 hours or so. Does a wonderful job of getting the moisture out. When you have finished inside, opent he luggage compartment, remove the carpet and dry it out and stick a heater inside the luggage compartment. Low heat, not blistering heat. Leave running for a good period of time and dry it out. Condensation in the luggage compartment is very normal.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Condensation inside windshield