Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 PM
apeper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONTROLER CODE 62 HAMMER TEST

1990 C4 964
So My Seatbelt AirBag lights lights are on in the clock and will not re-set
HAMMER TEST SAYS (SCREEN READING BELOW)
What makes the control unit go out like this ?
CAN YOU REPAIR THEM ?
Doze anybody out their know if the control unit comes apart or is it sealed ?
Thanks if you can unwind the Porsche mystery Control Unit ???
apeper
Old 04-02-2005, 04:37 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked this up in the factory service manual. The corrective action for code 62 is to replace the controller, the crash sensors, and both airbags. That does not appear to be a code that can be reset. Your controller thinks it has fired the airbags already. I would be a little nervous driving around behind a new airbag connected to that controller.

I also learned from the manual that the airbag controller is not connected to the central informer. If you remove the controller, the light should go out. The manual does advise disconnecting the battery 30 minutes before touching anything to do with the airbag. It is a small bomb, and should be respected accordingly.

I am not sure I would pay $2000 to repair a 964 airbag. Spend the money on a new seat and 5-point harness. You will be close to even money, and probably quite a bit safer.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I am not sure I would pay $2000 to repair a 964 airbag. Spend the money on a new seat and 5-point harness. You will be close to even money, and probably quite a bit safer.
Besides a harness and seat, I would use the opportunity to put in a RS steering wheel too!

Marc
Old 04-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Besides a harness and seat, I would use the opportunity to put in a RS steering wheel too!

Marc
Ah I caution against such advice without the caveats.
If an auto is fitted with a driver's side air bag then it some states of the USA it is illegal to remove it or disable it for use on the road.
I know some people have claimed that because in model year 1990 air bags were an option they could disable them in 1990 models. However in model year 1991 they became mandatory.

As for the fault code, yes that is what the manual says.
The controller is reporting the 964 has had an accident, serious enough to deploy both air bags.
The owner says that the air bags have not been deployed and there has been no accident so the problem may just be the control unit.
I have never heard of a single control unit failure like this but the only way to find out is to replace the control unit.
I would like to say the manufacturer of the control unit could help but I would not be telling the truth, the after sales support in this area is abysmal.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is weird to have a failure like that occure. I've replaced many SRS controlers, actuaters, airbags, and harnesses due to faulty circuitry at the advisement of factory recall or service bulletins. But, I must admit that I've never heard of or had to replace one for throwing a deployment fault, when in fact one had not occured.

Either the car was wrecked or the SRS was activated accidentally at some point. Reguardless, there really is no repair that can be done to the controler at this point. It should be removed, discarded and replaced. The fact that you want to open the controler for repair seems fishy to me. I would never recommend someone to attempt this type of repair. Other lives may be at the mercy of your unqualified hands and that is not acceptable.

Also as Adrian mentioned, deactivation of the SRS system whether it was found to be faulty or not is illegal in most states. The system should be repaired properly by a qualified technician, unless the car is being converted to track use.

Duncan

Quick Reply: CONTROLER CODE 62 HAMMER TEST