Sponsored by:

brake pad wear indicator

Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 PM
gilessav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad wear indicator

Hi Guys,

Hoping your all enjoying the Easter break! Just taken my car out for a spin as its a rare nice day and have noticed the brake wear indicator has illuminated . Looking at Adrians book and searching the archives here it seems either i may have a genuine brake wear situation or possibly a grounded/shorted/cut sensor. My front brakes and sensors were replaced 800 miles ago so seems likely that it'll be the rears or a fault with the fronts. I was told the rear pads had plenty left in them so alittle puzzling. Being inept mechanically but willing to give it a go is my first port of call to check the pads by removing all 4 of the wheels and looking at pad wear and the stae of the sensors. no multimeter here so will be visual and wiggling wires to investigate.

Any advice from the more technically minded or those who have had the issue themselves. It may of course just be new rear pads are needed but cheaper to troubleshoot myself first i think. How long would one recommend it possible to drive with this light as i do limited mileage and dont drive it like i stole it that often so would prefer to wait alittle and combine it with an aircon regass in a months time. If it helps car is a LHD 92 coupe.

Cheers
Giles.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:45 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I went a couple hundred easy miles but kept a eye on the rotors for odd wear . Very easy to change pads and sensors. Look at the pads to be sure something hasnt come apart. The sensors are pin plugs behind the rotor. Easy to spot.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the DIY info on p-car.com, you'll be able to check them yourself. It will require a jack and a torque wrench (set at 94 ft-lbs) and about 30 minutes of your time. My first DIY project was a brake pad change a few years back. Since I didn't know what I was doing it took about 4 hours (lots of poking around and reading the directions). Now I can change all 4 corners in under an hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake pad wear indicator