Sponsored by:

Frequency crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that for the tweeter you may be able to use the original mount as the tweeter supposedly can be popped out if I understand correctly. The JBL tweeter is 1/2" in size if I'm correct.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Brian Leduc
Advanced

In my case, the factory woofer grills will pop off if gently pried with a screw driver tip.

I installed a set of Infinity component speakers. The tweeters were able to be mounted in the factory position with a combination of the factory plastic and the new plastic and the factory grills.

The woofers mounted with all factory hardware, but the factory trim ring (this centers the woofer and is the attachment for the factory grill) had to be trimmed slightly to accomodate the new woofer.

As for the crossovers, they are sealed units, and the cables had to be cut to connect them to the new crossover.

All that said, your mileage may vary.

Best Regards,

Brian Leduc
Old 03-11-2002, 05:59 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Thanks for the description, Craig. I'll give it a go shortly. Getting the panel off will also tell me if it's relatively easy to cut out a bigger hole to fit bigger speakers. Going from 13cm to 16cm made a big difference in one of my previous cars.

Cheers, JW
Old 03-11-2002, 06:28 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Arthur,

Re-using the covers of the rear deck speakers to cover new speakers might be difficult. Have you looked at them?
In my case, they clamped onto the outside of the original speakers. Which is why I went for the Kenwoods: they come with a new cover. I didn't fancy my chances in modifying the original speaker frame to accept a new component speaker underneath and still retain the original cover, without braking the original stuff in 100's of little pieces.

I'd be interested to hear what components you decide on. My choice is driven by a lack of willingness to throw money at it (at the moment). I hardly use the radio at all when driving right now; the upgrade is mostly to be able to understand traffic announcements and for occasional use on longer (>4 hours) drives.
Cheers, JW
Old 03-11-2002, 07:01 AM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

JW,

The car-audio dealer had the stuff in stock, so what I'll do is remove the rear-deck frames and see if the fit right away - I may otherwise opt for the Kenwoods as well for the same reason.

I also harldy use the radio/CD in daily driving, but as we're going for a holiday in the South of France, I'd like to have some music along the way.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:36 AM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

I finally got the time to replace the audio stuff. I replaced all speakerunits by JBL gear. On the reardeck I used the JBL 6432, and although the original cover does not snap onto the units, I used some "clay-like" adhesive to fix it.

In the doorpanels, I replaced the whole lot by the 2-way JBL 532 (13"). When I removed the bass units (I broke the cover when doing so, as it did not come off that easily) I found that there's no crossover mounted. Rather, the bassunit had some sort of crossover in the form of a spool of wire around the magnet of the unit. The tweeters were connected on the output side of the spool. Actually, this was nice, as I did not need to look for the location of the crossover and the associated wiring.

The JBL allow for making them into a two-way component system using the P2 kit. This involves mounting stuff for the tweeters and two crossovers.

I built the JBL tweeters into the original mounting (it's a close, but exact fit). For this I removed the tweeter from the outer mounting. The JBL provided mounting kit allows for directioning the tweeters virtually any way you want. I also removed the mesh from the cover as the tweeter requires a bit more height than the mesh allows for. The mounting kit also provides tiny black meshes to put on top of the tweeter, and actually, this looks much better than the original.

The bassunits are straightforward install and come with new covers.

The crossovers fit exactly in the sidecovers on the door panel, right in the little compartment. Wiring is simple.

I replaced the headunit by a Blaupunkt CD/MP3 player (type Los Angeles - it has a silver front but I understand that this can be changed to black) to avoid having installing a CD changer.

The sound is so much better than the original stuff, that I wonder why Porsche called it a "hifi option".

Once my digital camera arrives, I'll take some pictures and upload them here.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Infinity Kappa's 6x4's work beautifully in the rear deck with no modication to the interior or hole pattern. The stock grille's are just slightly large- but I took small velcro pieces and attached to several places of the ample real estate on the front of the Kappa's and the other piece of velco on the underside of the grille. The Grille's are nicely removable and the situation looks completely stock.

Quick Reply: Frequency crossovers