Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introduction and Newbie Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Excelsior
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Newbie Questions...

Hi all. I've been a lurker here for quite a while. I'm soon to be taking the plunge into the word of 911's, 964's to be exact. My name is Will McFadyen and I live in Raleigh, NC. I'm on the hunt for a low mile well maintained 964. I'd prefer white with a blue top and blue interior. I know the old adage is buy the lowest mile, most well maintained car you can afford... I'm looking in the 20K to 25K range. Will that fit the bill?

Also, does anyone know where in Raleigh, NC to get a good PPI? Finally does anyone have a pdf version of the 964 users manual?

Thanks!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:33 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats my car except for I have 70K miles! Welcome to the gang
Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome.

FWIW, forget about the color. Instead, get a car that has been well maintained.. otherwise, you will get frustrated with the search.

Good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 02:12 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome. I bought mine 2 1/2 years ago, and it is my daily driver about half the time. I have no regrets. I looked at every car on the market for about 4 months before the right car appeared at the right price. Couple of questions for you:

What is your planned use for the car? (track, sunny day pleasure trips, or daily driver)

Do you plan to DIY most of the maintenance, or do you know a trustworthy mechanic?

If you are going to rely on professional maintenance, you should know a reliable mechanic before considering any older Porsche. The Rennlist seems to have about 50% DIY folks, and there is ample help when the problems come up.

Do pay the Rennlist membership fee. You will be repaid many time over the first time someone bails you out of a potentially expensive situation.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Excelsior
Intermediate

I'm buying the car for sunny day pleasure. Otherwise it will be garaged. I would venture to say that at first it will be my daily driver, just due to the excitement factor. I'm not at all a mechanic however might do some small jobs. Most everything else will goto the local p car guru here in raleigh. I feel good about his ability and others recomend him highly.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
greenjt
Racer

Sounds like you already have a PPI guy picked out? Which shop did you decide on? Since buying my C2 i have been DIYing it and haven't needed a shop... yet. I hear really good things about EP, and have also heard some good things about Millersport and Triangle. Leith just put a tech over at their euro shop on Capital which is more convienent than Cary. He's a pretty good guy and goes back some years so knows the older cars - he put my car on a lift at a recent PCA event over at their Cary location and was very helpful answering all my questions.

With the very specific color scheme in mind, shopping locally will take you quite a while. There is just not much, if any, inventory in the Raleigh area. So you will more than likely end up getting your PPI in some other geography - unless of course you are incredibly patient. There is a white/blue/blue (90 c2 i think) at Triangle Imports. It's been there a while and if i recall correctly it was a bit rough around the edges when i looked at it a while back. I couldn't get excited about it.

Best of luck with your search. Keep us posted.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:10 PM
greenjt
Racer

Falls River? I'm on Brighthaven.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Excelsior
Intermediate

James.. We too live in FR... I live on Neland St, however, We've just bought a house in Hunter's Knoll accross Durant.. More space for the kido... I'ld love to stop by or have you stop by and chat with you. Please email me with your details if you don't mind... willmcf@hotmail.com
Old 03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Excelsior
Intermediate

James.. We too live in FR... I live on Neland St, however, We've just bought a house in Hunter's Knoll accross Durant.. More space for the kido... I'ld love to stop by or have you stop by and chat with you. Please email me with your details if you don't mind... willmcf@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Introduction and Newbie Questions...