Rear reflector

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Rear reflector

Anyone got any good tips for getting/keeping water out of the rear reflector, please?

Cheers

Phil
Old 03-04-2002, 02:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
For getting water out - take the reflector off and use a hairdryer, or stick it in your airing cupboard for a while. For keeping it out.... no idea - although I dried mine out, it's got plenty of condensation in it again. Seems like fighting a losing battle.

Dave
90 C4
Old 03-05-2002, 12:38 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's condensation in there, good luck, even with the correct ventilation lines connected up...it doesn't do that great of a job.

On the other hand, if it's actually a considerable amount of water that you're collecting in there...run clear silicone across the top of the reflector, it may be cracked from sun/freezing damage.

This usually is a BIG problem in tailight assemblies, as I have just replaced mine with an excellent used set, reflector too! The lenses crack, get water inside of them, freeze on a nice cold day...cracking the lenses even more! Water got inside mine so often that the wiring harness for the bulbs was completely corroded, when I went to change the bulb, again, the contacts basically just fell out.

If you need a good used reflector, I have one laying around...would accept a reasonable offer for it as it is in great condition, just used the "other" used one as it came a matched set from a friend's car.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:19 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Phil
I take it this is the emerald green C4 from herr doktor??

The tail ligths & rear reflector on these cars go pear shaped after a few years. the only real solution is to replace them. Don't bother looking for 'good' used units - I've tried it and failed - just stump up the £157 + VAt and buy a new one - it makes the car look brand new too!!
Old 03-05-2002, 08:59 AM
SteveW@stig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Phil Raby:
<strong>Anyone got any good tips for getting/keeping water out of the rear reflector, please?

Cheers

Phil</strong><hr></blockquote>

Phil,

I guess you are the Phil Raby of 911 & PW?

Take off the light assy and dry out in the airing cupboard. Take care when re fitting and use some vaseline on the seals to help keep the moisture out. Make sure the vent pipe is connected.

Quick Reply: Rear reflector