Sponsored by:

noisey fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:39 AM
autosound
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisey fuel pump

I was suffering a noisy whine and I think it may be the fuel pump its coming from the underside of the tank ,should you be able to hear any noise coming from the pump or should it be relativly silent ,I think this sounds like a miniture hairdryer.Its a 1990 c4 by the way.If I change the pump where's a good place to pick one up has anyone had this problem recently.Thank's guys.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I just changed mine today. I got a hell of a surprise when I wiggled the pump to see how to pull it out (after unbolting the mount), and it started dripping! The check valve had come loose of the pump...... the end nut was tight onto the bango fitting, but the check valve was not even hand tight...... My new pump is not silent, but very quiet. The old pump was sounding like a warning buzzer from below the fuse box.

I bought the pump for $223 delivered from one of the many web euro part places....... (not a renlist sponsor, but you should be able to figure it out)
Old 03-19-2005, 06:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Eric,
Was the filter accessible?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default noisey fuel pump

Jason,
The filter was easy to get to. I'm surprised how large it is. I can't see it ever being a problem without serious crap getting in the tank. I didn't take a good picture of the junk I found, but there were some fairly long pieces of debris along the bottom of the filter where the mesh attaches to the aluminum plug. I used a pick to remove the debris. It looked just like the metal spit out when you drill something. Metal spirals, mabe a half dozen pieces. I felt around the bottom of the tank, and it felt smooth...... But i'm still trying to figure out how the check valve loosened..... the new pump came with it securely attached.
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 PM
TJN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn eric, whats all that white sh**? cheers, vk
Old 04-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, that's the stuff you have to shovel before you can work on the car. (for those of us without a garage......)

Quick Reply: noisey fuel pump