Sponsored by:

Tracking device - stupid

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 07:09 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tracking device - stupid

In order to get insurance that was anywhere near affordable I had to get a tracking device installed in my car yesterday. So far it doesn't look like they messed anything up whilst installing it, thank God.

Anyway - I opted for a system which supposedly reacts to movement of the car if the immobiliser has not been deactivated - so for example if someone lifts the car onto a truck, it'll alert the monitoring station.

But - and here's the thing - in order to avoid the police being called out on false alarms when (for example) people get their cars collected for servicing, the procedure is that the monitoring centre have to establish contact with you to confirm the car has been stolen before they contact the police.

Which is great, apart from

1) It means I will have to carry a mobile phone around with me all the time - something I have *really* enjoyed not doing since I quit work

2) If someone whacks me over the head and makes off with the car, it won't be reported stolen since I won't be contactable

3) If I'm away on holiday (presumably a good time to steal a car) and not reachable, then once again the theft goes unreported.

Pretty stupid. Why can't they take the other approach (like with Redcare-monitored burglar alarms) where they react to every alert, but you only have so many "lives". Once you exceed your number of false alarm lives they will no longer respond. Wouldn't this be a better system??

Quick Reply: Tracking device - stupid