Sponsored by:

oil cooler fan not working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:45 PM
vilhelm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adrian:
how does one verify the thermostat is opening correctly?
I guess one way to tell is if the front right fender is hot then the oil must be flowing...is there a more definitive way?
Old 06-28-2002, 02:10 PM
Arthur.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The drop in temperature is very visible the moment that the thermostat opens. It should open when the gauge reaches the first white mark, and then you'll see the temp go down rapidly to about halfway de lower and the first mark (8-o'clock appr). Plus you can feel the passengerside frontfender to be real warm - but you can't do that while driving
Old 07-01-2002, 01:02 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Arthur:
<strong>****snip****

Given that the fan is pretty efficient in keeping the oil temperature low, I wondered whether it would not be too cool if the fan runs at high speed at all times?

****snip****</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've also thought about this, Arthur. I'm far from an expert on optimum oil temperatures, but I do understand (per previous expert posts) that you want the oil to get hot enough to burn off water/contaminants.

Even with the fan running continuously in fast-speed, your oil will at least get to 188F (thermostat opens). Does this mean somewhere else in the system the oil is reaching 212F (or &gt;212F, if the oil/water is under pressure), so as to boil off contaminants? And, what about winter driving, when the oil temperature never reaches 212F?

I understand that owners that only take their car for short drives tend to have water accumulate in their oil, as the oil isn't getting hot enough to burn off the water.

On the other hand, there are many, many benefits to cooler oil temperatures.

So .... as you can see, I don't have a definitive answer to your question. My own oil cooling system is stock (and fully functional!). Living in coastal So. Cal, I can count with my fingers the number of times in a year where the oil gets hot enough to start the cooler fan. If was tracking my car, I would add a switch to run the fast-speed fan at will.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Bruce,
To verify your oil cooler thermostat is opening you need to go for a drive. A good excuse anyway. This needs to be done first drive of the day from cold.
You need to watch your engine temp. As the pointer starts to rise try and make sure you are driving at 100kph or above (this provides good cooling airflow). As the pointer gets close to the first major white mark you should see, very quickly, the temp drop. It is very noticeable. If you continue driving around you will see the oil temp rise again and now you are in the fan protection zone. When the fan cranks up you should also see a rapid reduction in temp.
Checking the input and output lines of the cooler, both should be quite hot is a fairly reliable method but you can burn your hands so take care.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: oil cooler fan not working?