Sponsored by:

front fender adjustment 964 - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Thomas Owen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front fender adjustment 964 - advice please

I need a bit of advice from some of the body experts. My 964 had a new front fender installed by the PO due to a minor mishap. I know it was minor because I have seen all the pictures. The new fender was installed because he did not want to use any filler etc, etc. Now, the problem I see is a larger gap between the fender and leading edge of the door. At first I did not notice it, but now that I know it is there I stare at it all the time....
Anyway, I want to move the fender back a few millimeters and wanted to get your take on the difficulty involved in this. I have a shop and tools and plenty of experience on Porsche's, just never have removed/installed a fender (certainly not on a 964).
Your comments and suggestions please -
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:23 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have fit several 911 front fenders, but not on the 964. I believe the fenders are the same, however. There are bolts on the cowl that pinch a welting strip that you see below the windshield. Along the top of the trunk, there is a series of bolts extending to the front of the fender. There is a vertical flange on the inner fender lining supporting the lower part of the fender. The headlamp bucket has a bolt in the bottom that attaches to a mounting bracket. From the factory, there is a putty between the fender and all the mounting flanges. If the new putty was put on too thick, that can cause gap problems.

All the bolt holes are oversize, and that is what provides the adjustment. If the putty has hardened, or if the bracket holding the bolt in the headlight bucket is displaced, there is no way but to remove the fender and start over. If the putty is still soft, and none of the brackets are bent, it may be possible to loosen all the mounting bolts, and push the fender back to a better position.

If it was easy, I'd bet the body shop would have gotten it right. I would plan on removing the fender and cleaning off all the putty. Fit the fender, and work the mounting brackets until the fit is satisfactory. The putty keeps water out of the gaps, and is essential for corrosion protection. Get the good stuff, and don't spare it. The excess will extrude as you tighten the bolts, and can be cleaned away.

Don't do what a buddy of mine did: he left the fender on the driveway when he went to lunch. His wife backed out of the adjacent garage, and ran over it. A new fender is ~$900, IRRC.

Quick Reply: front fender adjustment 964 - advice please