Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this noise be "pinging"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 07:20 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point Allan. Just so you know pinging on a 911 engine is very hard to hear and it usually heard when under full throttle and full load like hauling down a racetrack. And it is most noticable from outside the car as you have described.

The pinging you are used to hearing with your old Oldsmobile (like a diesel) will not happen in a 911.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:49 AM
jonfkaminsky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input JC, Doug and Allan. Yes it is kind of a rattle, perhaps a little "diesel" sounding, but not much. The part that has me thinking it is pinging is that it does it under load in low RPMs in pretty much any gear, not a high RPM when in the power band. It has not presented itself since it became cold here late last week. In fact I just back back from The Gorge at George where we saw Dave Matthews last night and the car ran beautifully over the pass back and forth with plenty of power, But it is cold outside now. I did run an unboosted tank of Chevron 92 octane (RON+MON/2) from the Ellensburg station. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it...or an "ear" as it were.

Quick Reply: Could this noise be "pinging"