shock testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
jhy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock testing

hi

I have been a long time reader and finally have a question...

I have a 1989 c4 with lowered springs

My question is how do you test the shocks. they seem to be the original black ones with a green tape stripe around the bottom of the shock.

I asked my local mechanic if mine are bad and he said that as long as my car is not bouncing up and down while driving, that there is no need to replace the shocks...is that true...because my car does not bounce at all.

So I guess my question is when do I know when to replace the shocks

thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2005, 03:43 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The bounce test is quite crude. You shocks are bad long before they reach this stage, although most mechanics rely on the bounce to determine if a shock needs replacement. The bounce test shows if the shock has any function at all, and tests only the low-frequency response. A shock loses high-frequency damping long before the low end goes.

If you drive a car with fresh shocks, notice the impact harshness - how much of a jolt to you feel when the tires encounter an expansion joint or other small bump. That is a fast event. You will not bounce even on a really bad shock, but it will seem overly harsh if the shock is starting to go.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but it is quite possible to know the condition of the shocks from a test drive on the Interstate. If your shocks are original, they are probably somewhat degraded from new. If you still like the ride, it is much cheaper to leave them alone.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by springer3
If you drive a car with fresh shocks ...
That's what I would recommend, too. Before I replaced my lowering springs and 80K-mile Boges, I drove in a few other p-cars with relatively "fresh" shocks and noticed that they were a bit tighter than my setup. The car didn't sway or bounce excessively but it certainly did "float" over road undulations a bit more than the other cars.

My current suspension offers a much fimer ride but I wouldn't say its harsh. The biggest difference is that it feels glued to the pavement. Whereas before, the car would "porpoise" its way over bouncy stretches, the RS coilovers will mirror the road imperfections much more closely. In suspension terms, the rebound damping is much stiffer and allows for crisper handling.

I've recently enjoyed driving a friend's newly-acquired RSA and it features H&R lowering springs and "fresh" Koni adjustables. The fronts are set to full soft while the rears are at the maximum stiffness. This combination feels fantastic around town but it does so without being overly compliant. And given the adjustability, I think it's a fairly good choice for cars that will see the occasional track outing. It's really a great all-around package which I would highly recommend.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you are happy with the handling then leave it alone. Why change it for no other reason than it 'might be shot'? I would recommend against driving another vehicle with uprated suspension though as you will undoubtedly want to change yours...

Quick Reply: shock testing