Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door check strap installlation - what am I missing or doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Door check strap installlation - what am I missing or doing wrong?

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to change the door check straps but I'm stuck and need some assistance, please. I got the doors apart and the brand new units installed (from Pelican) along with a Weltmeister door reinforcement kit (from Type 911).

The problem is that the doors are even MORE difficult to open and close now than before - that is the problem I was trying to fix! The driver's door is now so hard to close that the a-pillar flexes 1/2" to get past each of the detents on the check-strap tongue - I'm sure it going to tear soon.

What am I doing wrong or missing?

I am sure it is the right part as they look exactly like the ones I took out.
I'm sure I installed them the right way around (tongue concave inwards).
I used gobs of heavy-duty/waterproof chassis grease.
They are well aligned and not fouling in the door or on the new reinforcement plates.

I just can't figure out what is wrong -- the check straps are new but just seem VERY stiff to open and close. Surely I do not have to take apart the new check-straps to shave them down (like http://p-car.com/diy/doorcheck/) to get them to work.

The only thing left to try is to re-install them without the reinforcement plates but I don't think that'll help as they are not fouling the tongue.....I'll try it this afternoon when I get home from work, I guess.

Any ideas from those who have done this before (or those who have not)??

Many thanks.....Marc
Attached Images   

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 03-05-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:24 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this (without the plates) and, whilst the doors are a bit stiffer than before, it takes hardly any effort to overcome the detents.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc,

I presume you are fitting these new door straps because the originals are broken?? It seems that my driver's door strap is broken and I'd be interested in what parts you had to buy and what was involved in fitting. My independant wrench has mentioned all sorts of complications suggesting it's a body shop job involving re-welding the new straps and removing the door etc. etc.

Any advice would be truly welcome.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Got it figured out - the reinforcement plates were not the problem -- it was the new check-straps....just too darn stiff. Took'em apart like the p-car article and shaved off a little to make them easier. Worked well - now just a little TOO easy to move the door, but I'd rather have it a little loose than too stiff so the a-pillar lasts a long time.

Dave - I took pics along the way and will post a thread on this soon. Very easy and fast.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 03-06-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Door check strap installlation - what am I missing or doing wrong?