Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the truth about wood floorboards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Plywood is very usable stuff and a sign from good engeneering.
Beside having a very friendly crash behaviour it also helps regulate the enoviroments humidity and isolates temperatures.

These tasks can´t be copied by other materials ( Mercedes has some high tech stuff doing the same but its very expensive, maybe we will see it in the new Maybach )

And yes plywood will soak water but when you have water inside the cabin the plywood isn´t the problem ( It even helps lowering the humidity and keep the windows defoged ).

As long the car is maintained they will not rott.

Most racers or rallyguys replace them with plastic or aluminiumboards as they wash out there cars regulary.

Now what is the sense to use ABS boards instead from the original plywood, are there any benefits and do they run around 30 € like the original woodboards ?

Grüsse

An error has occured:

panic: utf8_length: unaligned end at /var/www/cgi-bin/rennforums/ubb_lib.cgi line 242.

Please inform the board administration of this error so that they may fix the problem. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2002, 01:21 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
I am confused, are we talking "floorboards" or the piece of wood that that is behind the pedals. I bought a 1977 911 "turbo carrera" a few years ago to make into a race car. The car had 170K miles on it. When I gutted the interior, the board behind the pedals, as well as the board on the right side, were in great shape.

If you are asking if they rot, I wouldn't think so considering the age of this car.

Jim Newman
92 US Carrera Cup
99 996
Old 08-28-2002, 01:21 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Mike Costin made plywood race coupes.

They banned them partially

Grüsse

Quick Reply: What is the truth about wood floorboards?