Sponsored by:

Distributor vent kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 04:06 PM
Arnold
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Distributor vent kit

I know I'm pulling on Superman's coat,but how many of you actually believe the vent kit will prevent belt failure and where is your proof,or is it all theory?
I think the distributor needs to be replaced every 80000kms or so.
Arnold 90C2 109000kms (belt failed at 95000kms and still no vent kit installed)
Old 09-04-2001, 04:51 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the vent kit will prevent belt failure, but I do think it greatly extends belt life. I don't think you'll be able to find any objective 'proof' that the vent kit helps except that (i) it came standard on 964's some time in '93 and (ii) Porsche recommends that the vent kit be installed on older 964's.

Besides, Porsche recommends the vent kit, the kit costs $15, AND belt failure is well documented. Pretty compelling argument to install the kit IMO. Why wouldn't you install it?

In my case, my 92 C2 ran 33K miles without the vent kit and then 17K miles with the vent kit. I had the belt replaced as a precaution and, as it turned out, the old one was in pretty decent shape. I do intend to replace the belt every 75K miles though.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:14 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arnold:

Considering what I've read about the belt failure, the steps that Porsche took to correct it, all I can tell you is that it must have been a DAMNED HARD problem to solve. It's likely that Porsche designed and tested the belts prior to installing them, but they were probably concerned more with premature wear and tear from friction. I'd bet $50 they did this testing in free air. Suddenly, belts start failing, and in a typical production fashion, start assuming it's some type of QA problem with the belt materials. As time passed they went through numerous belts. Then all of a sudden the vent is installed...someone figured it out.

A vent won't save your belt from wearing out due to wear and tear...it's still a belt. Hopefully it WILL greatly reduce the unaccounted for wear that ozone introduced into the distributor chamber.

Just my opinions,

Bill Wagner

Quick Reply: Distributor vent kit