Running rich drinking gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 01:30 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Running rich drinking gas

Ok I have had my '91 C2T in the shop for almost a month. She is running rich and drinking gas @ 10mpg. My mechanic is pulling is hair out. Does anyone have any ideas he has a doner car that he has been doing part swaps with to no avail. Any input would be welcome.
Maverick
Old 02-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, as the 965 still utilizes CIS injection, K-Jetronic version, vice the Motronic injection on a 964...I would certainly go for the common components that affect mixture in a CIS setup.

...I'm sure your mechanic has tried these, but just to make sure, he should check:

- Warm Up Regulator and associated vacuum line.

- verify control pressure at Fuel Dist. cold and warm pressure (12volts to WUR for ~30 sec. then measure control pressure again)

- check operation of Aux. Air Regulator, similar to operation of WUR, should be FULLY open when cold, valve shut when 12volts applied for ~30 sec.

- O2 Sensor and duty cycle injector.

- FINALLY, I can't recall if a 965 had one, but verify that the cold start injector isn't stuck on during engine operation AND that it's not leaking...try unplugging the harness to it and see if you get a different reading on the gastester.

Okay, that's about all I have for you at the moment, let me know if there's anything there that he hasn't checked yet.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:48 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, I will pass it on to him. He has already replaced the WUR and the O2 sensor. He has had it on a 5 gas analyzer and all the levels appear correct. He has removed and cleaned the injectors and the fuel flow and pressure are correct. I will let you know.
Thanks,
Maverick
Old 02-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maverick(?)

You should also try the 964 Turbo board if you haven't already done so. There are some really knowledgeable people there including Farzaan (fc-racer).
Old 02-17-2003, 07:49 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. I tried both boards, but you normaly aspirated guys seem to be a lot more active on the boards than us Turbo guys! I spoke to my mechanic this evening and he has fond a significant leak at the intake maniflod gasket and also a bad injector and 5 others that are marginal. This car had set up for quite some time before I bought it with 35K miles.
Cheers
Maverick

Quick Reply: Running rich drinking gas