Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What no Problems ?

Sure been a slow week for car problems
Pretty much been nuthin but happy banter on the forum this week
Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have some time later to go out to the garage and accidentally screw something up... I'll let you know.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope to change my oil this weekend so I'll post Sunday afternoon after the first drive as to how I fix a seized engine by forgetting to put the drain plug back in....

Marc
Old 02-25-2005, 11:16 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case you hadn't seen it, there are some good pointers from the FAQ section on the 964 oil change. I don't know if you've done many 911 oil changes in the past, Marc, so maybe this is old hat. But if it's your first time, you'll want to give the attached a good read. Also, try to find a LARGE container to capture the reservoir oil (turkey roaster is barely big enough) and be careful with the filter removal--that always proves messy for me. And please don't add more than 10 quarts.
It's a fairly simple and surprisingly satisfying DIY project but requires a little planning. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Joey - while I see from many posts it is fairly simple I have been approaching it with some trepidation as a mistake can be a BIG mistake!

I jacked up the car already and found the tank drain plug and RR wheelwell drain plug but was not sure about crankcase plug. A recent post of the engine underside someone pointed out that plug so I'm all set. A recent thread on Newbie oilchange also had lots of tips on it.

I have armed myself with 2 15L drainpans as I'm told it is very fast, very hot, and there is a heck of a lot of it that comes out (also so I can drain tank and crank at same time). I bought 12L of Mobil 1 5W30 in perparation too and a filter wrench in case it is stuck and hard to get off. My neighbor saw all the oil and thought I got it on sale or went to Costco -- couldn't believe it was all for one oil change (plus a little spare in case I spill it on the floor refilling the engine).

Thanks for the tips and I'll check out the FAQ.

Marc

ps. How had can it be to do a rebuild once it is seized anyway...?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Marc,
If this is your first time and you have a little extra time you might want to drain the oil cold and just let it sit there draining for a few hours (overnight). When you spill it all over yourself and your garage floor its a lot less painful to cleanup cold and you drain about the same amount. Don't forget to open the drain and breather plugs on your drainpans, the size of your drainpan is not so much the problem as is the size of the opening on the drainpan.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Marc,
If this is your first time and you have a little extra time you might want to drain the oil cold and just let it sit there draining for a few hours (overnight). When you spill it all over yourself and your garage floor its a lot less painful to cleanup cold and you drain about the same amount. Don't forget to open the drain and breather plugs on your drainpans, the size of your drainpan is not so much the problem as is the size of the opening on the drainpan.
Thanks Jason - I was gonna take a run to heat it up, open the drain plugs (2), punch a hole in the filter and let it sit over night to drain it all out. My drainpans are commpletely open at top as I've hears others had problems with oil overlofwing top of pan.

Can I have the car up on ramps to drain it or would being on an angle be a problem? If os, I'll just have to crawl underneath.

Marc
Old 02-26-2005, 03:09 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Be ever vigilant for the Kahdmus Syndrome to strike...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:30 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Can I have the car up on ramps to drain it or would being on an angle be a problem?
Yes, I use ramps BUT I use them in a section of my driveway which is sloped so that the car remains relatively level. Tipping it forward will prevent oil from the lines and front-mounted cooler from draining, so see if you can find a spot which keeps the car level. Worst case, drive your car only part way up the ramps ... just high enough to let you work under the engine.

I also like ramps because they offer added safety. That drain plug on the crankcase can sometimes be tough to get off and cranking hard on a breaker bar while lying under the engine isn't something I'd recommend without adequate support.

And, oh yeah, that hole-punch-in-the-filter trick is something I have yet to try but it sure sounds like a good suggestion. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

For me, a mixture of ramps and stands if the way to go.
And punching the filter with a screwdriver is a must for stress relief.
Oh, and speaking of spilling oil all over the floor because the top of your oil catch basin has a tiny little hole...

Brian
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2005, 02:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Brian, hope that wasn't Adrian's book under the drain pan!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:46 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Ha! That would be ironic! The book helps me out with my 964 once more! By absorbing my spilt oil... Actually, it was the phone book.
Brian
Old 02-26-2005, 04:37 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Brian,

Surely you know - Adrian's book is much more absorbing than the phone book...
Old 02-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Brian,
Did you take the wheel off to access the drain plug in the back left side of the wheelwell? I've heard some say they don't get much oil out of it but to do it anyway. Any opinions (everybody)?
Also, if you jack the car up to take the wheel off, won't that make it unlevel and therefore keep some of the oil from draining out properly? I guess you could jack the other side up just to make things equal.
Filter is on the way from Pelican to do my first change.

thanks,
c
Old 02-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bhensarl
... speaking of spilling oil all over the floor because the top of your oil catch basin has a tiny little hole...

Brian
So are you demonstrating the correct or the incorrect way to do it??

Marc