Sponsored by:

Tire Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 05:29 PM
bcsmith
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Noise?

Has anybody had experience with rear tire noise? I have a 93 C2 with S02's with about 16K miles on them. Started to hear this noise which I thought was a bearing failing. We put it on the rack and spun the tires up to about 60, and sure enough, no sound. The problem I have is that it sounds kind of metallic, but my wrench says the bearings are perfect (which I believe). 16's in the rear. I guess I have to change the tires, but there is some tire left on them. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2001, 03:19 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to post that question on the general 911 list, since it's not really 964 specific...nothing wrong with posting it here, but you'll have more readers.

I'm not familiar with the noise levels on S02s, but I can tell you that I've bought some high performance tires for some of my past cars where the noise was so bad I was SURE I had a bad bearing...it was the tires. A lot of people use S02s, so if you expand your search you may get a host of answers/opions.

Good Luck,

Bill Wagner
Old 09-03-2001, 04:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

The SO2s are noisy tyres. They certainly whine and it does sound metallic. As they wear it gets worse.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 09-03-2001, 05:48 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a '93 C2 (RSA) with S02s and I agree with Adrian. Mine are not real noisy yet, but I read in one of my car mags that spirited driving such as on the track wears the edges
of the diagonal tread "slots" down, thus making the gaps wider (like snow or mud tires), which makes them noiser (again like snow or mud tires). The article I read said that the new S03s have a different (and more traditional) tread pattern, so should be both better on the track and less noisy. Of course, all this doesn't necessarily mean that the noise you hear is all in your tires.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:38 PM
bcsmith
3rd Gear

Guys,

Thanks for the posts. I think you are all right on the money. I did have my bearings checked and they were fine. I am going to chalk it up to tire noise and change the rears. Thanks again.

Bryan
Old 09-10-2001, 06:49 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Funny you should think the same thing as I this past weekend...cause I too experienced this noise, I have RE-71s on the car.

I particularly notice it when in the far left lane, closest to the Jersey walls, this position of lane travel reveals all kinds of ticking and whining, argh!
Old 09-10-2001, 05:10 PM
bcsmith
3rd Gear

Well, I had the rears changed to new SO2's and the noise is gone. Also had it alligned which makes it drive that much sweeter. Thanks for the posts.

Bryan
93 C2

Quick Reply: Tire Noise?