Sponsored by:

Replacing fuel filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 12:15 PM
anewbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing fuel filler neck

I will be replacing my cracked fuel filler neck with the new and improved design this weekend. It looks like a fairly easy repair, but I am not sure how the top of the neck is atached to the top of the fender. Is it threaded? Has any one done this repair themselves? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2001, 03:29 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's attached with a C-clip. Take off all the hoses running between the tank and the Y-pipe. Open up the fueling lid and you'll notice the C-clip..expand it and take it off. Unless your car is different from mine (I doubt it) just pull off the gaskets and the unit should drop right out. You might want to consider replacing the hoses too, but it might also be a waste of money.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner
Old 08-31-2001, 09:45 AM
anewbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-01-2001, 03:46 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this is unrelated, but if you have a fuel smell when you open up the trunk after you replace the Y-pipe, be sure and clean the carpet. I know this sounds too absurd, but I installed a temporary fix for my Y-pipe problem while I await my back-ordered y-pipe to arrive, and yet I STILL smelled gas. I assumed there was still some type of leak, but there wasn't. I realized this when I finally pulled the carpet out and cleaned it. The fuel smell in the trunk is gone completely.

When my gas cap/y-pipe was leaking, if I filled the car up and took it out on a curvy road, I could pop the lid on the fuel filler and see about 1/4-1/2 cup of gasoline sitting there. Although there is a gasket around the y-pipe as well as a drain, from what I can tell the gasket must not work very well, and fuel must have been leaking down into the carpeted area of the trunk for years. With the temporary fix installed and the carpet cleaned the odor is now completely gone.

Clean the carpet too if you have or still have a fuel smell after your y-pipe replacement before you start thinking your tank or fuel lines are leaking.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel filler neck