Sponsored by:

OT - Land Rover Freelander

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:24 PM
tom964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Land Rover Freelander

I am looking for a small off-road SUV to supplement my C2. As of now, I drive the C2 full time, summer and Chicago winters. Does anyone have any experience with the Freelander 3 door? Particularly as to dependability.

On a separate note, at 80k, the C2 is going in Friday for a new clutch and flywheel (the flywheel has not failed, but it is the original Freudenberg) and to seal a couple of very minor oil leaks while the engine is out. I'm dreading the bill, although I have been putting aside money for two years knowing this day would eventually come.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Curt911
Pro

Freelander is a POS IMHO.... if you want a LR get a Disco or Rangie. if you want real "dependability" look at a Toyota Rav4 or one of the other little imports. I have an 04 Santa Fe 4WD with the big motor. I don't really need 4WD in FL but I used it a few times on trips north in the snow and off-road and I was impressed wtih the performance and the traction control sys. It is full time 4WD like a LR but gas mileage is pretty good (5sp auto with Tiptronic style shifter, it has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty (upgraded from 10yr powertrain), heated leather seats, etc. It's not as luxurious as my Range Rover, but on weekend long distance camping trips or for a daily driver it does great. My rangie only gets about 12 mpg on the highway @ 80 mph, Sante Fe gets about 22 @ 80 mph. I bought it brand new as an extra run-around car last August, it has about 13k miles on it now. I drive the **** out of it trying to break it but it has not let me down yet. The only thing besides the oil changes/service was the auto-dim rear-view mirror made a little noise on rough roads that kinda annoyed me, they replaced it - no questions asked. Fully loaded, with the extra warranty (including oil changes/services) was under 25k out the door plus it had a rebate, although they do not hold their value well (I did not care, will keep it a long time). Its about as ugly as a Cayenne Too!

Don't get me wrong, I love LR and have had plenty, but every time I'm at the dealer for service there is one or 2 very upset Freelander customers in there and usually I hear them get told it will be a few days to get the parts in... Perhaps there are some Freelander owners here that can back this up or dispute it...

GL
Old 02-23-2005, 05:42 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend Disco. When I was looking for my 4x4, Disco's seemed to have a very bad reputation for reliability.

With a 4x4 I don't think you can go far wrong buying Japanese.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveK
I wouldn't recommend Disco. When I was looking for my 4x4, Disco's seemed to have a very bad reputation for reliability.
None of the LR products have a great rep for reliability, however the Disco, LR3 (new Disco) and Range Rover, if you get a good one in a good year, seem to have had better luck than the littile guy. LR is a British vehicle, are there any "reliable" cars made there anyway???

I think if your looking for a LR you either want: great luxury, great off-road capability, your neighbors to think your rich or stupid, don't mind fixing things from time to time, like oil spots in your garage, dont really car about drag racing, like British wood and leather (and how it ages) or a combo of these...

A good LR resource online is www.rangerovers.net that may be helpful on the Freelander as well.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:39 PM
DerkBarrington
Instructor

I love my a Disco !( and am not afraid to admit it). It has been very reliable and has yet to let me down since I purchased it..... only maint thus far are oil changes, brakes and muffler. I use it for off road and it can't be beat in the woods and on snow covered roads... only downfall is the gas mileage , it is horrible. Also, they could have done a better job in designing the door handles and front seats.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:34 PM
blackdogbd
Intermediate

I have a friend who bought a 2002 Disco. I warned him, told him I didn't want to hear the whining. He just passed 100K miles, puts more than 150 miles a day on it. He has some small nits, but nothing major. His 911 has cost him much more over the same period.

Downside is mpg, he fills the tank with 93 every other day. But due the resale value being bad, he plans to take to 200K. Go figure.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

bought a 2001 disco 3 years ago with 20k miles. Now the truck has 60k and no problem at all(not even a drip in the garage)(knock on wood). My friend has a freelander SE (I think 2002 model) and it has been holding up pretty good.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 AM
sterya
Intermediate

To be fair I can't fault my wifes Nissan X-Trail...better built than a Freelander, more reliable, comfortable and they really have thought about the ergonomics.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

If you want a small SUV in the Freelander category I would say you're far better with any Japanese model. Early Freelanders are really not any good when it comes to reliability and I don't find that you have to buy one for the looks or comfort. My Rangie is also unreliable but at least it has some looks and a high level of comfort (with three kids in the back).
Old 02-24-2005, 02:05 PM
tom964
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your responses. Since I want my repair money/time dedicated to my 911, reliability is important for this one. Although I like the styling of the Freelander 3dr with the removable top, I think I will look elsewhere. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
bnewell
Advanced

Just to throw in my .02.........I recently traded in my 2003 RR on a new 2005 RR. The '03 was virtually maintenance/trouble free for me with the exception of a few minor hiccups along the way. This reliability along with its styling, interior room, great stereo, etc, etc, is what prompted me to purchase another RR.

I purchased the '05 on December 31st although did not actually pick it up from the dealer until a couple weeks later.....busy at work, bad weather, etc.

Anyway, the day I did pick it up, I didn't even make it half way home (40 miles) and it broke down and had to be flat bedded back to the dealer. Turns out (3) of the spark plugs were not firing properly. Dealer replaced all of the plugs and I have not had a problem since. Keep in mind that it only has about 250 miles on it as of today...................but hey, no problems!!!!!!

Brian

Quick Reply: OT - Land Rover Freelander