Sponsored by:

Opinions re: purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 02:07 PM
John K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Opinions re: purchase

I think I've found my car. It's a 92 C2 5- speed coupe with 65K miles. The books/records are in order and show dealer maintenance from day one. It was built in July '92 (flywheel updated from the factory at this point?), has the vent kit and the clutch seems fine. I could see no oil inside the engine or underneath. The interior is perfect and the exterior has a couple minor rock chips. It's got 17" 993 twin turbo wheels (maybe knockoffs but they look good)new tires, brake pads and sensors, and rotors(drilled). The seller agreed to have the 60K service done after inspection.
Is there anything else I need to look for?
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:21 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi John,

Well, since you wrote "after the inspection," it sounds like you're still waiting for the PPI to give the car a clean bill of health.

How does the car run/drive? How is the AC & HVAC in general?

You didn't mention the asking price$?

Anyway, PPI withstanding, I think you've done your homework, and this sounds like a nice car.

Hopefully, someone has the LUK DMF implementation date, or else it will be archive search time.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:25 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, and another thought. Have you ordered a Carfax yet?
Old 08-29-2001, 06:57 PM
John K
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Randall.
The PPI is scheduled for next week. The car runs great-no stalling, no hesitation, the AC worked suprisingly well. The asking price is $28K. This seems comparable to other cars of this vintage/mileage. I kept looking for something wrong but I couldn't find anything. Maybe the PPI will turn up something. The carfax report came back clean.
Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:28 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The easiest way to determine the Luk flywheel cutoff is by checking the engine number. According to Bruce Anderson, the Luk was used starting with engine number 62 N 01738.

The mileage is average (not low, not high) for a 911 of that age, and the 17 inch wheels are a definite plus. I think that $28K is a good price for this car if it passes the PPI, especially if the engine number is after the Luk cutoff number. It seems like it's tougher to find a good 92-94 as opposed to 89-91 964.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a follow up to Drew's post... Porsche changed from the Freudenberg flywheel to the LUK flywheel in May of 1992. If the car you are looking at was built in July, there's a good chance that a LUK was originally installed. But, I would check the engine number anyway as Drew suggests to be safe.

From all the recent posts lately, it seems it's hard to find a nice 964 in any year...
Yesterday I just ran across 4 for sale in my area in case anyone is interested. '89 C4 coupe, '90 C2 cab, '91 C2 cab and a '93 C2 cab.

Jay
90 964
Old 08-30-2001, 05:23 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

John,

Sounds good on the mechanical side, but how about the bodywork side? You mention a few stone chips, thats normal (in my opinion almost preferable as it can show the paint is original).

Does it have the original option tag under the bonnet? Do all the options tally? If you touch the inside lip of the fenders, does it have a rough rubberised texture feel to it? How about the nuts holding the front wings? Those should be the same colour as the car, but the nuts holding up the velcro for the carpet in the boot are broze colored instead.

Also, does it really look like it has done 65k miles? Look very closely at the inside and check for wear and tear on things like pedals, gearknob, seat bolsters etc.

The way you describe it, it sounds like a very good prospect.

Keep us posted and get some piccies when you buy.

Best of luck

Quick Reply: Opinions re: purchase