Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Subwoofer under seat??

I just ordered a Clarion Subwoofer

with the following dimensions: Width 13-5/8", Height 2-15/16", Depth 9-1/8"

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best place to install it? I have a 1990 C4 Cab with power sport seats. The audio sound is poor with the top down, especially as it fights with my B&B dual-outlet muffler - so I'd like to get the sub in the best spot for situations with the top down. Also, I'm mostly concerned with the sound from the driver's perspective, as I'm usually alone in the car commuting.

I did a search and found a couple of references to this particular sub, but not enough to provide any conclusive info.

A couple of pointed questions (that I could figure out on my own with some time in the garage, but I thought I'd check the Rennlist braintrust first)
- does anyone know off-hand if a unit with the listed dimensions would fit under the driver's seat?
- what about the passenger seat?
- is there more room under the passenger seat than the driver's?
- any other suggestions?

If it doesn't fit under either front seat, I was considering the rear floor are, as that is never used.

TIA -
Jack
Old 02-23-2005, 01:24 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Putting these things under seats it tough because you need to relocate what's already under there: DME, power seat plugs, alarm, speed and spoiler control units...

I have a subwoofer in my cabrio - it is mounted in place of one of the storage cabinets in the rear (I don't have rear seats). The speaker itself aims right at my back which is great. I don't listen to the stereo much, but its placement in that location seems to work well.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack,

That's the exact subwoofer that I've got fitted in my car. It's just a little too big to go under the seats, so I sat mine behind the passenger seat instead, with a floor mat over it & have the seat fully back to hold it tight!! It's a 5 minute job too remove it so someone can sit in the back behind that seat. It gave a huge improvement in sound quality.

Andy
Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses.
Andy - have you tried it behind the driver's seat? I would think that it would be better to have it closer to the listener. I suppose that if I had long enough wires installed, I could try it both ways...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jack,

To be honest, I don't think it'll matter where you place it in the car. It did come with wires long enough, but I thought I'd stick behind the passengers seat - that way rather than me feeling the vibrations from it all the time through my seat, my girl/passenger does!!

Andy
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A little extra excitement for her hu
Old 02-24-2005, 12:14 AM
CHASE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just looking at the same sub woofer last week. Let us know how it sounds. I think it has to help but I'm sure your nieghbors wont hear you "thumping" down the street. I dont think it matters where you mount it. Similar to a home theater sound system where you hide the sub woofer behind furniture- but yet you still hear and feel the low tones !
Old 02-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I ran into those same under the seat clearance problems when looking for an out of the place to locate my amps. Custom built my own sub cabinet that houses 2 10in MTX Pro Thunder subs. I'll post some pics tomorrow on this thread if anyone mentions that they would like to see. Consiquently, the rear seats were removed and the cabinet is a perminent part of the car, meaning in order to remove it the cabinet would have to be dismanteled.

Duncan
Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Brian -
I'll post here when its installed - it may be 2 weeks or so as I still haven't received any of the gear yet -
but in the meantime, I'm encouraged by Andy's statement:
"It gave a huge improvement in sound quality."
Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the stock amp was removed from under the passenger seat, could that unit fit?

I really want to add a subwoofer but I actually use my back seats (kids).
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BaysideC4
If the stock amp was removed from under the passenger seat, could that unit fit?

I really want to add a subwoofer but I actually use my back seats (kids).
No. I tried that & even moved everything that's already under the seat out of the way, but the sub is a tiny bit too deep.

I've seen on Rennlist (maybe on the 993 board) that someone fitted 2 small subs into each of the rear side panels. It didn't look to bad either. Perhaps that something for you to think about/look into?

Something like this?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:51 PM
rutz964C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Dunasso
I ran into those same under the seat clearance problems when looking for an out of the place to locate my amps. Custom built my own sub cabinet that houses 2 10in MTX Pro Thunder subs. I'll post some pics tomorrow on this thread if anyone mentions that they would like to see. Consiquently, the rear seats were removed and the cabinet is a perminent part of the car, meaning in order to remove it the cabinet would have to be dismanteled.

Duncan
Hi Duncan I would like to see those pictures

Thanks
ALEX
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM
erc94
Track Day

Jack,

I have that Clarion Subwoofer in my 993 and as Andy said, it does make a great improvement. Don't expect earth shaking bass... but it does even out the sound quite nicely. you may want to check out the Kenwood KSC-WA62RC as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wBbeM5A...RC&search=woox

I have one in my 964 turbo. It kicks out much better bass in my opinion. its only slightly bigger but still fits on the floor behind the passenger seat. I'll go out and take some pics of how they are fitted if you like, just let me know.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
964Patrick
Instructor

erc94, i'd like to see those pics.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
erc94
Track Day

Patrick,

Both pics show the passenger seat adjusted as far back as possible. a feature both of these units share is they can be disconnected and removed within seconds. great for autocross, DE, kids, security, etc.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Subwoofer under seat??