Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

attn racers: 1. where's your kill switch mounted? & 2. what's preferred wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:29 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts
Question attn racers: 1. where's your kill switch mounted? & 2. what's preferred wiring?

I've searched plenty - even on the racer forums, but there is no definitive answer on this.
First off, went to go get teched for the upcoming race, and I got a "by-the-books" inspector and my switch is not "behind the front struts" (see pic below). So, I gotta move it back. Yikes!! No room to move it back! My first question to the group is, where did you place your cut-off switch? Looks like I'll have to squeeze it in over the fuel filler lines from the gas tank.

Secondly, I've been running a standard 2-pole switch up until now and have decided to "upgrade" to a 6 pole switch. Does anyone have pictures and an exact description of the wires to splice into? Is the fuse for "DME" (a 7.5 amp in slot 35) what is interrupted? Hopefully it is that easy - as the underside of the central electric box is a mess of wires (I feel like I am diffusing a bomb - don't cut the blue wire!!!).

Thanks for any tips. I know an old PCA article had this information - if you've got an electronic copy, fill me in!!! Thanks so much
Attached Images   
Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is in the same place yours is, with a wire to pull that fits through the space where the front trunk closes (by the windshield) - which also appears to be the same as yours. What group requires it behind the strut towers? That seems like a goofy rule. I can't help on the wiring as mine was already installed at purchase.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:42 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The POC states it needs to be rearward of the front struts... I agree it's silly because if there's an impact that bad, the battery is likely going to be smashed or launched out of the car so who cares about the switch at that point!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Mine is mounted ahead of the brake fluid reservoi and has a wire pull. PCA club racing rules aren't as stringent WRT the cutoff placement.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mark, how is your's wired?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I didn't install it; I had my shop do it. I got the switch from Fabspeed, but I think it's a fairly common kit. The switch cuts off the battery and alternator.

Try a search or maybe click this link on kill switches.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: attn racers: 1. where's your kill switch mounted? & 2. what's preferred wiring?