Sponsored by:

Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 08:09 PM
vilhelm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Road Trip

I'm getting ready for a 2000 mile road trip across the great Southwestern United States. As much of the trip will be in remote areas I'm putting together a spare parts kit. I'm looking for recommendations on what to include..for example common relays and fuses and other spare parts I could change out in the Mojave Desert.

I have a 1992 C2 cab with 95k miles. Just serviced so hyave all new belts, plugs, fuel filter, dist. caps, rotors, valve adj......
Old 06-09-2002, 09:52 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another 92 C2 in Houston? There don't seem to be too many 964's around here. Stop by and say hello if you ever go to a local autocross. My C2 is a midnight blue coupe. I go to all of the SCCA events and most of the BMW/Porsche Club events.

Anyways, one of my biggest concerns when traveling is a flat tire. No big deal in most new cars that have full size spares, but you may want to think about how you would handle a flat in a 911. Personally, I would just carry a can or two of Fix-A-Flat. I don't like using the stuff, but if you're in the middle of no-where it may be your best alternative.

I would also carry a list of Porsche mechanics or dealers along your route just in case you need to have something taken care of. If the worst should happen and you call a tow truck, they're going to ask you where you want the car taken. It would be nice to have that info already thought out.

Other ideas: jumper cables, a few quarts of extra oil, set of fuses, a good flashlight, small set of tools. That's all I can think of.

Have fun on the trip. Hopefully you'll get a chance to let it out on some empty highways.

Drew
92 C2
Old 06-10-2002, 02:16 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Just did the trip myself, although didn't go too remote. Cell phone and charger, lots of good music, v-1 detector (if you want a fast trip, and an open mind! Have fun!
Old 06-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PCA Panorama, especially March issue with all region officers. Gives you a list of possible contacts if you need help in a remote area.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:38 AM
Richard 92 C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

I dont know if you get them over in the USA but here in england we get a make shift Fan belt kit, they can be made to fit any size application and for any car.
A couple of spare batteries for your alarm remote (I learned this from experience)
A Tow cable

Hope this helps
Old 06-10-2002, 12:02 PM
vilhelm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm not going too remote...I-10.. Houston to LA.

88CBLSport..I've been thinking of a radar detector.
What are you using?

Drew_K...I'm in west Houston..Katy Fwy and Dairy Ashford..marine blue metallic cab.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Rich W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vilhelm,

Make sure you have WATER! Yes, your car's engine is air-cooled, but you are not. If you should have car trouble along a lonely stretch of I-10 (believe me, there are plenty of them), you may be waiting a while for assistance. Nice to have plenty of cold water on a blistering hot day.

FWIW, I've driven that particular stretch a number of times. West Texas is pretty boring.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:39 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Vilhelm,
V-1 all the way! Best $400 I ever spent...saved my butt a few times. I didn't think I would use much around LA, but I actually used it on a canyon drive (picked up a CHP on PCH) and picked up 3 on my way back from Streets of Willow.

My cousins friend just drove from NY to LA and cam through New Mexico and got a ticket for 72 in a 65! She was driving an older Toyota Corolla...go figure. I won't go anywhere now without the v-1. Check the archives, there has been a lot of discussion vs. Bel and 8500. Don't take the cheap way out, you will just pay in the end...get the v-1 and save yourself the time trying to decide.

Quick Reply: Road Trip