Sponsored by:

Car makes many new noises during extremely cold days

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 AM
sgrisanti
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car makes many new noises during extremely cold days

I just purchased a 1991 C4 Targa with 27K. I have only owned the car for three days, however, this evening was extremly cold in New York, and the rear shocks felt very hard, the streering wheel made a squeak when be turned, and the front end made a dry squeak when there were large dips in the road. My Porsche has been in a garage its entire life, however, it is now otdoors.

Does the cold affect the ride and is it responsible for all the noises?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:19 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good deal of it is normal. Shocks are fluid filled, and when it gets cold out, the fluid (which is either an oil or oil-like substance) thickens, causing them to react more slowly. As you drive the car the noise SHOULD subside since the shocks motion will induce heat. Additionally ini the rear the shocks will likely pick up a little residual heat from the engine. However, I've never heard the squeak you describe coming from the front end.

As far as the noise in the steering goes, mine will do that too until it gets warmed up. I bought my C4 just over four years ago and it had 18K miles on it at the time.

Hope this helps,

Old 02-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi. My car always seems a little squeaky for the first few miles in winter. Nothing specific - just as if all the plastics and fittings are a little cold. It always settles.
Old german ladies need a little time to wake up on a cold morning!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:34 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All normal for cold weather, anything under about -10C will provoke all manner of creaks and groans until things get warmed up. I'd be concerned if the steering noises persisted once warm. Otherwise, I'm guessing you're OK.

Quick Reply: Car makes many new noises during extremely cold days