Sponsored by:

Car not locking...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Carboncar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car not locking...

the car has just decided not to lock now, was just locking the passengers door, and unlocking both doors from either side, but now I can't lock either door. It still activates the alarm. Is this a common problem?? I have had the door skin off, but can't see much, If i move the long rod connected to the internal locking switch it will lock the door. Is this meant to connect in any way to the lock it's self? as it isn't at the moment. Has anyone had this same problem and if so what was the cure?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a first step, I'd try checking fuse no. 12.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:54 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

Are you using your key or remote to open/close the doors?

By experience I found that my central door locking (by remote) gets confused when a door isn't closed properly. That means, one door locks, the other stays unlocked. After that, it refuses to lock/unlock any door by remote, though the alarm does activate/deactivate.

When I use my key to lock/unlock the doors (just lock/unlock once) both doors are in the same unlocked state and the remote works again no problem.

I don't know if this works in your situation, as I have no idea what causes my car to behave this way.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Carboncar
8th Gear

Will try the fuse tonight, it is doing it with key, do not have remote.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So when you use the key, it unlocks both doors? If this is the case, then your fuse should be ok.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Carboncar
8th Gear

When the one door was locking I could lock one from the inside and unlock both doors from either key. Tonight I am going to try opening a window leaning in to lock both doors manually and see if I can still unlock both doors on the key, Not that I am sure how that will help me!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Carboncar
8th Gear

Checked fuses last night all ok, Locked both doors with roof down from the inside, will only unlock the 1 door on the key. Any ideas???
Old 02-10-2005, 11:42 PM
cjansen
Advanced

I had exactly the same problem. I could not lock the door from the drivers side, but could lock/unlock both doors from passenger side. The problem was the locking actuator in the drivers door which is easy to replace. This part is a servomotor that has a built in limit switch that senses the position of the control rod. The limit switch feeds the central locking control unit which will energize the actuator to unlock when it senses the door is locked, otherwise it won't power the motor.

I would suggest that your problem is either a failed locking actuator (like mine) or a failed switch in the lock cyclinder which is sensed and sets the alarm. If the alarm is getting set or released with the key then I would look to the door lock actuator.

Can you confirm which side your problem is on (make sure both door locks are manually locked and try to unlock from either side, then reverse the procedure and try to lock from either side). Let me know what you find and we can take it from there
Old 02-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Carboncar
8th Gear

Sounds like that is the problem. When I locked both doors it will only unlock the door which i am unlocking with the key. Where abouts is the actuator in the door? Who did you get your lock actuator from? how much are they, do you need one for each door???
Old 02-11-2005, 09:54 PM
cjansen
Advanced

How about locking. Does one side work only? The side not working is your failed actuator

There is a door lock actuator in each door. Remove the door panel and the lock actuator is located underneath the lock button. You need to remove a plastic cover to get at it. It is about 8 inches long from the tip of rod to the 5 pin connector and mounted vertically IIRC. I got one from a dismantler for $50 and it worked first time. I can find the part number if you need it.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
cjansen
Advanced

here is what it looks like
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Carboncar
8th Gear

Smile

Locking problem found, when looking at the actuators to see if they were working which they were, I was then able to spot the ball clip on the top of the actuatur was missing, ordered from Porsche for £3.60 each. Thanks for the help in finding the problem.

Quick Reply: Car not locking...