Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side heat shield missing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:56 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left side heat shield missing...

So i have had my C2 for about a month now and have been fiddling with things like installing the vent kit, fixing the dome light, replacing hood shocks, beginning the maintenance routine and thought it was about time to figure out one particular notation from my PPI.

My PPI guy noted that my left heat shield and hardware was missing.
1. Is this concerning?
2. what is the left heat shield and why is it important?
3. does anyone have a Pic they could share so i can get a better feel for what i am looking for/missing?
4. Is the heat shield something that is readily available for purchase?

Old 02-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That most likely refers to the heat shielding between the catalytic converter and the left side of the engine, nearest the lower valve covers.

No, not a real reason for alarm, a lot of trackheads/performance junkies remove this shielding anyway.

I, for one, have removed said shielding because of the deteriorating sound deadoning material that is attached to the panels due to the mess it creates when working on the motor and access to spark plugs, etc.

I'm sure if you want to replace it, there would be several 964 owners who might volunteer to find theirs a new home.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:28 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The heat shield protects the engine from red-hot exhaust lines. Search the threads for warped valve covers, and you will see why you want the protection of the heat shield. The cost for replacement valve covers is high.

My heat shields also had crumbling insulation. I replaced it with aftermarket heat shield and high-temperature tape. It was fine when I took it back off recently to adjust the valves.

Weight reduction is highly valued on track cars, and it is understood that maintenance will be higher. Also, track cars spend less time idling in traffic. For a car I planned to keep for a long time and drive on the street, I would want the undertray and the heat shields to be in place.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to the exhaust I run I don't have any heat shileds on my car. If you had been around when I installed it over 2 years ago you could have had whatever you needed for free. I don't think I need to add that I am of the 'no concern' mentality on this
Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Johan K
Instructor

Originally Posted by springer3
For a car I planned to keep for a long time and drive on the street, I would want the undertray and the heat shields to be in place.
I second that, get a heatshield. But take off that undertray
Old 02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Due to the exhaust I run I don't have any heat shileds on my car. If you had been around when I installed it over 2 years ago you could have had whatever you needed for free. I don't think I need to add that I am of the 'no concern' mentality on this
But you DID have to buy new valve covers recently didn't you?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Christer
Race Car

Equine-flavoured crisps????! WHOOOOOOOOAH there.....that had nothing to do with it. Besides, I was actually initially more concerned about the HT leads. That angst seemed to disappear after several seconds though. How much could HT leads possibly be......I will tell them though that I do need a 6 cylinder twin-spark set for a Fiesta. I reckon they will work out less than £80...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
greenjt
Racer

Anyone have a pick, or can anyone direct me to a pic in Adrian's book or can anyone accurately describe for me what i am looking for that might be missing?

If i recall correctly, when i was under the car this weekend, there were what looked like silvery insulated rectangles of some kind of metal that surrounded the lower section of the motor. If this is the heat shield, then it looks like it may be in place after all - otherwise, since it is supposed to be missing it's hard for me to picture what should be there that isn't.

Quick Reply: Left side heat shield missing...