So we should avoid N tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 09:49 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question So we should avoid N tires?

I'm dragging these excerpts out of another post to give it some visibility. Maybe it's just me, but I was surprise to read that one of the Moderator/Guru's, Viken, feels the current N tires are not well-suited for the 964:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the 993 Board by Viken:
What is important to note, is the fact that these newer tires are designed to work with the newer and more sophisticated chassis. A tire approved for use on a late model 996 is not necessarily a good tire for the 993 or any older 911. In the past, sports car engineers relied heavily on sticky rubber to get the performance levels they needed. Nowadays, a maximum performance tire doesn't even come close in terms of stick. They are designed for longevity, comfort and low noise levels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by joey bagadonuts:
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but he seems to be suggesting that OEM-approved tires ARE NOT the best choice for 964's if handling is a priority.
Viken's response:
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. If you can find an OEM approved tire for the 964 and compare it to one that's approved for a 996, you'll know what I mean. I had the 17" Bridgestone Expedia S-01's on my previous 964 and they were noisy as hell, rode like crap but stuck like glue. Today's tires are whisper quiet, they ride well but they don't stick.

Any comments?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Joey,
I have run modern N rated tyres on my C4. The best sets of tyres of the modern types (which Viken is correct were never tested on the 964, not since 1994 anyway) were the N0 Yokohama A008Ps on the front and N0 Yokohama AVSs on the rear of my C4 (Same tread pattern by the way). The very best were the Bridgestone N rated SO1s and the N rated SO2s were pretty good if not somewhat noisy. For the very latest in tyre technology and with N3 and N4 rated tyres I would tend to agree with Viken.
However I do not believe you can dismiss the current range of N rated tyres simply because they have not been tested by Porsche on a 964. Not that I say you should discount modern N rated tyres either. I am currently testing a set of Toyo T1S Proxes. Do not limit yourself. By the way I would still prefer if I was purchasing, to trust a set of Porsche tested and approved tyres even though they were tested on a 996 than a set of tyres for half the price that have never seen a 911. Some tyres have seen a 911 and certainly seek them out. Toyo, Kumho etc.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-20-2002, 10:34 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

I wouldn't like to argue with a moderator, but logic would surely suggest that tyre technology is evolving just like eveything else. OK, so today there is more emphasis on reducing tyre noise and so on - but I can't believe that tyres today are less sticky than the ones available 12 years ago. That doesn't make sense.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
I'm the guy who started the kuhmo rubber topic, thanx for input, but I have decided to go w/ another set of SO2's w/ a N-3 rate, which is what I am using now. I figure I will put the fronts on now and have the rares in stock for when I need them. I came to this decision because I have been using SO2's for years, and have absolutly no problems with the way they perform, the ride is not to harsh, they're not that loud and they never brake loose, even when I think they might.
When something works stick w/ it. I asked about prodution of the SO2 and was informed that Bridgestone does still produce them for Porsche only. However, I may go with the Kuhmo tyres next time I need a full set of rubber. thanx again.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:19 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christer - I think Viken's point is that the suspension dynamics on more modern cars (i.e., 996) are much more advanced, so it is possible to go with a less "sticky" tire and acheive the same level of overall adhesion and performance. This assumes that sticky = noisy/rough riding.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

I always thought sticky tires meant softer compound which meant less noise. Of course tread pattern will contribute to a point as well.

I don't know enough about this to argue - I am just saying that to me it doesn't make sense. at all.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:39 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just put Toyo Proxes TS-1 on the front (to match the rears I got last month). So far, great tyres. Lots of grip, not very noisy. Since I don't race cars for a living, I fail to see the need for £180 Pilotsports or similar. The Toyos were £85 + VAT fitted each, so £399.50 inc VAT for all four corners.

Quick Reply: So we should avoid N tires?