Sponsored by:

Smoke from cooling fan!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:59 AM
poorscheC2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Smoke from cooling fan!!

Hello, I have a 1990 c2. On my way home from work the car started to make a shrieking sound almost like metal to metal. I stopped immediately, opening the engine bay I was treated to smoke coming out of the cooling fan and a belt that was melted to the pulley. The pulley was super hot. After a tow home a started by removing the first belt. I started the motor and the sound was gone. I cleaned all the burnt rubber off of the pulley and installed a new belt, correctly tensioned, and upon start-up the sound was there again. I shut down the engine immediately and checked the belt, instantly the pulley was too hot to touch. Any ideas? Maybe the fan hub or alternator bearing? Anyway to test these? I have owned my Porsche for 5 months now 1st one and I will never own anything else, also this message board add's to the Porsche experience. Thanks for the help. 1st post.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:08 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your fan bearing seized?

Without the belt, will your fan spin by hand? Even with the belt in place, you should be able to move it back and forth just a tiny amount.

Look at inside of the fan housing - any evidence of the fan blades touching it at any point? This could mean the bearing is/was worn.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:09 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the board!

It does sound like a bad alternator/bearing to me! Could you turn the fan when the belt was removed? Was is smooth to turn, did it feel loose? Is the fan turning when the car is screeching?

Andy
Old 07-16-2003, 08:30 AM
poorscheC2
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice rennlister's. I pulled the alternator and the fan bearing is totally siezed. The shaft on the alt. has two small grooves from the outside pulley (trying to turn at a different speed maybe) on it. I was just wondering if I need to replace the alt. as well or if I could go with the rs single pulley hub? Thanks again.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:49 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some interesting things going on with cooling fans and alternators lately. You might also want to look at this thread: Thread

There might be some other things you will want to look at as you are repairing your issues.

Tom

Quick Reply: Smoke from cooling fan!!