Sponsored by:

Buyers Beware: Holt Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 06:22 PM
rpmooreii
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buyers Beware: Holt Motorsports

Just had a bad transaction with Holt Motorsports, a used Porsche dealer, out of West Chester, PA

E-mail me directly for details.

...Roger

rmoore8@***.net
Old 07-10-2003, 09:59 PM
steve964C2
Track Day

I also had a very bad experience with Holt about two years ago - I would strongly recommend avoiding doing business with him.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry to hear that because I met Tim from Holt Motorsport several years ago. He bought an RS America from me at what I thought was a very good price for me. That was our first encounter and I found him to be very professional and knowledgeable. That was in the spring of 2000. SInce then I have had several other occasions where I visited his shop either looking to buy or sell cars. I was just about to sell him my 993 C2S when a someone offered me a bit more. I found him once again to be very professional an helpful. I only live 20 miles from Tim's shop and he has an excellent reputation in this area. Roger.. It ashamed that you had a bad experience with Tim. I am not sure that trashing him here is the right course of action. He is the kind of guy that spent about 40 minutes on the phone with me when I was looking at turbos and just answered questions for me even though he did not have a car that fit what I was looking for. I am all for trashing chop shop operations like Cars Schmitt but I don't agree that Holt is in that league.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:10 AM
steve964C2
Track Day

Trader220 - let me just be clear that in my follow-up to Roger's post I'm simply stating my opinion - I'm not publically accusing Holt of anything and I don't think Roger did either. It seems to me that he was just trying to give others a "heads-up". People are then free to get Roger's side, balance it against your favorable experience and make their minds up accordingly.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Steve,

I think you took my post the wrong way. I was not attacking either you or Roger, my apologies if you took it that way. Roger and I have had an on going dialog about this car purchase. In fact I was the guy that first saw the car. I am sorry that Roger is unhappy and I respect everyones right to post their experiences here. That being the case I thought I would post my favorable experience with Tim.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:10 PM
steve964C2
Track Day

Trader220 - no apologies necessary, I certainly never got the impression that you were attacking me. In fact, upon reading the responses from you as well as from others on the 993 board, it appears that my experience with Holt may well be atypical.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Steve,

glad to hear that. Tim has been a great resource for 3 years and the only business i ever did with him was sell him my RS America back in 2000
Old 07-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Even the best dealers and shops sometimes screw up, and it's unfair to those types when they get keel-hauled in front of thousands of people with no way to defend themselves. Some of you may remember a terrible keel-hauling of a respected P-guy that I've known for years. The charge was very detailed, and almost unbelievable to me. Finally, the "culprit" responded with "the real story", which I found much more believable. I've had the same guy do work on my cars for 28 years. He's screwed up several times , but always makes it good when I take the car back. Known crooks, rip-off artists, and incompetents are another matter.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:36 PM
A. Saslow
5th Gear

Tim and Steve at Holt are great... If I don't buy a car from them, I will get it serviced there. They are so knowledgable about every aspect of porsche, especially in the seller's market. Besides, they have 2 great looking 25th ann. 911's there sitting side by side....beutilful sight. I would say any negative business with them is in fact atypical.

-Regards
Old 11-21-2022, 08:14 PM
pagoda69
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Holt Motorsports

I found this old thread from nearly 20 years ago about Holt Motorsports and felt compelled to update my experience with Tim Holt. I purchased a G Body 911 from Tim earlier this year. Tim misrepresented the car in every possible way. I will admit, I purchased the car sight-unseen, and that is my fault. But, that being said, I trusted Tim because of the length of time he has been in the Porsche used car business and I respected his judgement. Wrong decision on my part. I recently had my Porsche mechanic, who is the absolute best around, go through the car. This mechanic worked at Suncoast Porsche for 40 years and knows these cars like the back of his hand. The correspondence from Tim about this 911 was purposely, totally inaccurate. My mechanic told me that based on Tim's description of the car, I should sue him. But............I blame myself for trusting a used car salesman.

I'm sure that there are far more buyers who have bought nice Porsches from Tim, than those who have had bad experiences, like the one I had with Holt. Based on my experience, "Buyer beware", when it comes to Holt Motorsports.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:20 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Impressive that a place like this can continue to operate for 20 years. You'd think their reputation would be ruined by now.
The following users liked this post:
s65e90 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:28 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by pagoda69
I'm sure that there are far more buyers who have bought nice Porsches from Tim, than those who have had bad experiences, like the one I had with Holt.
It sounds like that has more to do with the quality of the vehicle being sold, not this guy's honesty. If you are an honest person, you don't pick and choose when to be honest. Shady, shady, shady

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-22-2022, 09:09 AM
pagoda69
Intermediate

That makes no sense to me. Simply put, he was very dishonest about the quality of the 911 that he sold to me. And from what others have reported 20 years ago, my bad experience with Holt is not the first.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:07 PM
Holtmotorsports
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pagoda69
That makes no sense to me. Simply put, he was very dishonest about the quality of the 911 that he sold to me. And from what others have reported 20 years ago, my bad experience with Holt is not the first.

Hey guys,

Right off the bat I want to state that buyer had some dislikes about the car when purchased back in May & we sent replacement parts.
The car was not repped as anything more than exactly what it is/was... a nice, solid SC with 53K miles.
Car was all original paint too ,before we changed the engine lid for a duck tail and also painted front trunk lid, per customer request.
Off the top of my head I want to say it was center caps, heater control boxes (all 911's need those and I missed it. No excuses, 100% my fault there)... there were 2 or 3 other things, but Im just drawing a blank since my father handled this deal.
At the time the customer was happy to come to that resolution, which made us happy since my father told me, he (the buyer) has something like 50-ish years of experiencing restoring cars....up until now we haven't heard a thing.
In fact the customer thanked us at the time and even referred another customer to us.... not sure what to make of this post.

So yeah to hear that 6 months later there is some issue with the car that we somehow caused is a bit outlandish. John, feel free to send over an email, give a ring or text.

More than happy to talk with your mechanic to determine whats going on. Most mechanics simply won't get on the phone with me, for obvious reasons. Not saying thats the case with this tech in particular that has just been my experience.
There is not a another dealer in the 911 world that will stand behind their product, name and reputation like we do.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in... two sides to every story as they say lol.

Respectfully,
Tim Jr

PS: This is a pretty funny place to see this post. When Rodger (the original poster) put his vaguely worded 'review' up back in 2003, we could not figure out at all why.
He bought a MINT polar silver RSA, like a level #1 + type car. When this original thread was brought to our attention, we went out of our way to contact Rodger.
Every year or so since then, I PM and remind him, I stand behind the same offer my father suggested back in 2003/2004 which was to unwind the deal and get the silver RSA back here.
Not once, in 20 years has he responded to any messages sent... lol And the account is still active...
The irony of it all, since this post has been picked up by google scrapers thousands/millions of times, it gets our name to the top of the google search algorithm... and for free at that (SEO can get pricey).
I'm not sure exactly how many cars this orig 2003 thread has helped us sell but its been a lot. I'd venture to guess at least 2-5% have come from this thread getting bumped up in search results.
We always ask how a buyer has found us... without a doubt, over 20 years I'd say a couple dozen have specifically mentioned this thread when we're going over paperwork or pre-delivery prep.
Approx 2,700 911's sold and counting as of today!

Sorry for typos, dictating text on the road.

The following users liked this post:
s65e90 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 05:02 PM
pagoda69
Intermediate

Appreciate the reply. I spoke to Tim Sr, not Tim Jr., about the massive amounts of corrosion in the rear end and the leaking rear brakes. Calipers gone. Car was not safe. Shifter/tranny issues. Sent me two brake hoses. Heater exchange boxes rotted beyond recognition. Sent me heater boxes. Undercarriage corroded well beyond a 50K mile car. Sat in damp environment or salt for years. Just had Porsche mechanic go through the car. Could not get it done earlier. He laughed when he read your reply. Yes, two sides to every story. It's my fault for not looking at the car first. Learned my lesson. Was not a car that "Needed nothing" as I was told. It needed a smarter buyer. My fault.

Quick Reply: Buyers Beware: Holt Motorsports